Sharp Pain...need your help/suggestions!

6penningtons
on 1/24/13 4:48 am - MO
DS on 12/12/12

Okay, right after surgery (12/12) I had some sharp pain on my mid-right side, however after about 2 weeks it went away.  Well, last week it came back with a vengance...and seems to be getting worse.  So, I am counting on you guys to help me brainstorm what things it could be, or what I could try to make it better. Here are a few more details:

1. Pain on mid-right side (almost directly across from my belly button, on the right side.)

2. Pain subsides when laying down and gets MUCH worse when walking.

3. Food does not seem to make it better or worse.

4. No fever.

5. I do have one incision very close to the area that hurts, that has not healed completely and still has a scab on it.

My hubby thinks that #5 indicates that things are just not healed completely yet, and that I have been overdoing it.  I have a 2yo that I lift quite a bit, and I did move all the furniture last week to vacuum under it. He is an ICU Nurse, so I trust his judgment, but thought I would see what you all think.  I can't help but worry about this being a problems at one of the connection sites, or simply adhesions.  I don't have insurance so I don't want to run to the doc unless necessary.  Thanks for your input!

Danielle

Age: 34; Ht: 5'2; High Wt: 190; Goal Wt: 120; DS by Dr. Lopez 12/12/12

southernlady5464
on 1/24/13 6:09 am

Danielle, call your surgeon and ask.

I suspect it's from overdoing it by picking up your 2 year old and moving furniture but having a surgeon talk to you is the best thing to do.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Brenda S.
on 1/24/13 6:59 am - FL
RNY on 04/09/13

Do you still have your gallbladder?  I had mine taken out years ago, but when I was having issues, it was EXCRUCIATING.  Might want to check into it...

Hope you feel better!

Price S.
on 1/24/13 8:23 am - Mills River, NC

could be gallbladder or doing to much.  Probably need to get it checked.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Ladytazz
on 1/24/13 10:07 am

Do you have your appendix?  My boyfriend ignored pains and wound up with a ruptured appendix.  I would see a doctor for a chronic pain that isn't getting better.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

onmom
on 1/24/13 9:33 pm

Could you be constipated?

rbb825
on 1/29/13 11:35 am - Suffern, NY

You are 6 weeks out, dont you need to see your surgeon for a 6 week follow up?  You just had major surgery - you cant ignore severe pain like that - it is trying to tell you that something is wrong.  Please dont ignore it.  If after 6 weeks, one of your incisions isnt healed, that is a sign that something is wrong anyway - you have definitely over done.  You shouldnt be lifting heavy things at all yet

The fact that food doesnt make a difference, I doubt it is  your gallbladder - you pretty early out for that anyway.  Are you eating any fatty foods? 

You dont have any insurance through your husbands job in the hospital?  I know things are expensive but you obviously went in this surgery with no insurance - you have to be willing to go for routine follow ups and when complications arrise.  YOu cant let your health suffer.  For the first year - you need to go to the surgeon and NUT at 6 weeks (I also had to go at 2 weeks), 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year and then every 6 months or yearly for life.  You also have to have labs done every 3 months for the first year and then after that - some do every6 months - I still do them every 3 months.  YOu also have to be able to buy all the supplements  - Multi, calcium citrate, B12 sublingual or injections ,Dry  vitamin D3, carbonyl Iron with vitamin C, vitamin B1 - anything else is based on labs.  Most end up on IV Iron by year 2-4.

I wish you the best and do hope that you go get things.

Sharp pains are a sign of something being wrong and please dont ignore it.  If you have an emergency clinic? or just an office visit.  Some local hospitals will see patients in an emergency that are low income with no insurance = many hospitals have to.  They dont have to run lavish tests but they have to do the basics.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 489 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views