discoraged

Lindah55
on 1/25/13 11:53 pm - OR
RNY on 10/09/12

My RNY was Oct 9. I am getting 700 to 900 calories a day and close to 100 grams of protein. However, the weight is coming off very very slowly. I have lost close to 40lbs. If I am having a hard time now what is maintence going to be like? I feel like I am eating too much but the doctor wants 100 grams of protein which most of that comes from protein drinks. I need some encouragement please. I am trying not to be negative.  

southernlady5464
on 1/26/13 12:39 am

So you've managed almost 10 lbs a month and are unhappy?

How much did you need to lose?

And 100 grams of protein is about the least amount you need. We find that kicking up the amount actually helps lightweights lose more and keep us healthier.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Ladytazz
on 1/26/13 12:47 am

What are your carbs like?  I kept my around 50 grams while I was losing weight, mostly from dairy and fruits and vegetables.  I totally avoid refined carbs.  To help my shakes I used almond milk or coconut milk or Calorie Countdown, which is low carb.  I mainly got the carbs from Greek yogurt.

I don't know how much weight you have left but you started as a lightweight so it is slower.  The way I looked at it was when I had 50 lbs left to lose was that even if I only lost one pound a week I would still lose all the weight I wanted in a year.  That seems like a long time but really it is just a tiny amount in the scope of things when you realize you have the rest of your life to figure out how to maintain that lose.  At least with losing slower it seems easy to catch on to maintenance.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Lindah55
on 1/26/13 9:59 pm - OR
RNY on 10/09/12

My carbs seem to running around 50-60 grams from fruit (1/2 apple), milk, cheese, beans,occasional protein bar. I can't eat meat.

Thank you for your reply, I always read your posts and thanks for your support.

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/13 12:53 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 02/29/12

Be patient with yourself and give it time.  You just had surgery a little more than 3 months ago.  And 10 pounds a month isn't something to frown at!  As the others said, look at your protein intake and the carbs you're taking in.  Also consider what exercise you're getting in as well as your water intake.

Smile... you're new tool will work but you have to keep your chin up and give it time.

Lindah55
on 1/26/13 10:04 pm - OR
RNY on 10/09/12

I am looking into weights to build some muscle so I can burn more calories. I have a treadmill I use almost daily except the last two days because my knee has started to hurt. I hope the pain passes.

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/13 1:49 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 02/29/12

I think you're doing fine.  Just make sure you're not doing too much on the treadmill... take it slow and steadily increase.  Same holds true when you start on the weights.  As for your knee, best bet is to take care of it and if can manage to stretch than you may want to do that.  I learned the lessons the hard way and later learned that by doing too much too soon you risk injury.  Go figure, right?

Hang in there.  It's still very early in your journey so be patient with yourself and give your body time.

Price S.
on 1/26/13 5:33 am - Mills River, NC

Over 100g of protein, 30 net carbs or less, no refined carbs, get your fluid in, move your body, eat according to your plan.  If you are doing all that, you are fine.  Your body will let go when it does.  And there is no rush.  If you do the right things, you will lose weight.  Then you just keep on keeping on and maintain.  Really, you are doing fine.  Relax, you have 18 months of easy losing while you are in the honeymoon period.  You will get there.  Promise.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Lindah55
on 1/26/13 10:01 pm - OR
RNY on 10/09/12

Thank you Price. I get 50-60 carbs a day. It comes from cheese, milk, 1/2 apple, beans, protein bars, I can't eat meat.

Price S.
on 1/26/13 10:39 pm - Mills River, NC

if you don't eat meat, it makes lowering the carbs really hard.  Sounds like you are doing the best you can.  I just know when I was eating the same number of calories but lowered my carbs, I lost weight.  So keep on keeping on and know it will happen, just more slowly. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 296 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 420 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 482 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 500 views