Constipation ?

LucysJourney
on 1/26/13 4:01 am - VA
RNY on 01/14/13

Hey all,  I am two weeks out and wondering about constipation.  Before surgery I was fairly regular but on the constipation side of the spectrum.  Two weeks post surgery...I have not had a BM all week.  I am in the pureed stage and I can actually feel something trying...but it feels like typical constipation symptoms...

I have my first post-op appt. on Tuesday...I don't think I can go on my own and I am just wondering if I should start taking some stool softener...or wait until I talk to the doc on Tuesday?

Any advice would be welcome.

~~ Lucy

southernlady5464
on 1/26/13 5:21 am

I know what works for me but as I have the DS...I can't tell you what might work for you.

DS'ers need fat, LOTS of it to "grease the skids". I also take fiber pills every day. I've taken stool softeners but the trick that always works for both me and dh (and we've resorted to it about 5 times in 2 years) is the donut trick...we eat a Krispy Kreme donut...and things move along nicely after that.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

LucysJourney
on 1/26/13 6:57 am - VA
RNY on 01/14/13

LOL...thanks Liz...I will dream of the donut trick but I don't think I will go that route just yet...lol...

~~ Lucy

southernlady5464
on 1/26/13 7:00 am

Like I told Price, I was 5 months out before trying that. :)

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Price S.
on 1/26/13 5:29 am - Mills River, NC

Although she did qualify it DON'T FOLLOW LIZ'S ADVICE THIS TIME ABOUT THE DONUTS.

You should be fine with stool softeners but I haven't found that they do much good for me.  I do a big scoop of Benefiber in my protein decaf every morning.  Miralax works better but Benefiber is cheaper and it works for me.  But it takes a while and is best used on a regular basis.  You probably need MOM at this point.  You really don't want to get blocked so better to deal with it now instead of waiting.  You can do Miralax 2x a day until you get regular again.  Regular is different for different folks.  I go several times a day, usually.  Some folks go ever couple of days.  You will have to get  into your own pattern but don't let it go too long.  You could also try a suppository but the MOM works and is safe.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

southernlady5464
on 1/26/13 5:50 am

LOL, Price...I did say it worked FOR my dh and I...not that it will work for everyone. And we have to be REALLY constipated to resort to it ourselves...the thing is, we've tried other methods and for dh and I it's the only one that works if THAT stopped up.

I think the first time I tried it, I was almost 5 months post -op. And all it takes is one.

LucysJourney
on 1/26/13 7:07 am - VA
RNY on 01/14/13

re: Liz's advice...lol...at this point I think I will pass on the donut trick...lol

I am going to make a quick trip out to WallyWorld to pickup some MOM and some Equate version of Miralax.  I scoped out the plugged up aisle already so I know what is available...just wasn't sure if I would need it or not.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

~~ Lucy

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/13 5:57 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 02/29/12

I had the whole constipation problem too.  In the end, it turned out that I had an issue with gluten intolerance.  Once I fixed my diet, I was fine.  Stool softeners worked for me when it was an issue.

Personally, I would take either a stool softener or the Miralax as suggested and just let your doctor know on Tuesday.  I do know the Miralax takes a bit longer to work though.

Hope you feel better soon!

MrsLitch
on 1/26/13 7:05 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

fiber and miralax do nothing for me. I had issues preop as well and probably have LBS. I use Milk of Magnesia as suggested by my doctor. I don't wait until I feel constipated anymore though. I take it proactively. Try not to become dependent on it but if you need to get things moving esp. after a week you could use it to clean out and then try the fiber or miralax to see if you can get yourself regular.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Candy V.
on 1/26/13 9:47 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I had some issues with it early out and used miralax.  Now I take a stool softener daily and it works for me.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views