Do Lightweights need more protein to speed up weight loss?

Suzi S.
on 2/4/13 1:18 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 01/14/13

Hello!  I had my RNY on 1/14/2013, so about two weeks after you and I've been on puree foods for about a week.   While I was still on full liquids their was a goal of 60 grams protein, that I am puree its a requirement.  It can be a combination of liquids and food.  When I move to the next stage, Low Fat, Low Carb diet, on Feb. 27th, he wants to cut out the protein shakes and have me get all my protein from my food and to discontinue protein shakes.  I would double check with your doctor, because it doesn't sound right to me. 

Margaret Smith
on 2/12/13 6:32 am - Lake Wales, FL

Hello Darlene,

Don"t get discourage stay postive I find it's strange your Dr said no protein shakes my dr had me on them right after surgery,but every dr has their regman for WLS.Dr told me I was A LIGHTWEIGHT and I would lose slower then others because I had less to lose.My Dr told me I need like 60 grms protein but they have discovered 8 yrs later I need atleast 100 grm protein every day so I mix my choc protein in my morning coffee its great if you like choc coffee.I just bought some Blender Bottles at WAlgreen for $8 and Walmart $7.They make the powder more creamer in coffee.so its all very smooth and  no chunks of protein powder.My diet after surgery was Liquid for 1st wk after that I was on very soft food like runnie grits,oatmeal,soups ,mash potato's,soft eggs,Then I was on regular soft diet just made every thing soft ,for about 2 wks,then I was on regular diet and that was a little hard for me because everything seemed to get stuck,so I went back on soft dite for a little while longer,then tryed regular again and I was ok,as long as I shaved meat to paper then and child size bites.I was craving salad and Nut said I could have it,OMG so not ready for it,I had a few bites and I was full and I felt like I had something stuck for so like 5 hrs I kept dry heaving and trying to sip water to get unstuck,just when I was ready to go to hospital and let them get it unstuck and I took a big drink and swallowed real hard it finely got unstuck and washed away,after that I didnt eat salad again for like a yr,Now when I want a salad I put my lettuce in food processer or small 1 cup food chopper and make lettuce very fine chop.Now lettuce dont get stuck and I dont eat it very often,But basicaly what I'm saying is be very careful with each food step you take,Not everyone can handle each diet step an dkeep going some times you have to go backwards then move forward because everyone is different.Make sure you get your protein,I went back on my protein last week and I can feel the difference already I have more enrgy now.On liquid step I had a lot of sf jello.Its liquid when you put it in your month and you really dont have to chew it just move it around in your month and melts to liquid.

Hope this helps some,

Margaret-FL

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views