Just had my psych eval - realization

stonerose
on 4/23/13 12:10 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

Hello all,

I had my psych eval for qualifying yesterday and it caused me to arrive at some realizations about the surgery.  First off it went well and she said I was fine for qualification.  As we talked, though, I realized that I'd been feeling like I didn't deserve to get the surgery.  That, because I'll be reaching 50 this year, it was okay to slow down and not be able to move and natural to be getting heavier.  The stupid thing is, I've done this mind trick to myself on two other occasions in my life.  When I was 35 and had had my first baby I suffered terrible fatigue and depression.  I would get out of bed, drag myself to the living room and sit there all day.  It turned out I had severe hypothyroid (Hashimotos).  I told myself then that this was normal and what to expect for the rest of my life.  Then, when my weight reached 275, about 5 years later and I talked myself into getting the lap band, I realized that I was expecting to live like that and discovered a whole new life after that surgery.  Now my weight has crept up to 226 after lap band failure and removal and I find myself feeling that this is my normal and being thin and more energetic is a thing of my youthful past.  During our talk yesterday I realized I had this weird mindset, and that things could change and would change and for the first time I actually got very excited about having the surgery (hopefully in July). 

I know a lot of this mindset is because I've spent the majority of my life obese, but also because my mother has sort of had this attitude her whole life (my childhood and beyond) where "this is how things are and you can't change them".  She is largely immobile from weight and arthritis.  But she also has never made the hard choices or pushed herself to change.  It's always everyone else's fault when her diets or exercise fail. 

Not to get too much into my personal history, but I wanted to start sharing on this board because I hope that it will be a strong support when I have the surgery.  I have my dietician appt. coming up and two more "weight management" meetings with my doctor.  For the first time I actually thought of myself achieving a weight of (who knows?) 125?  I've never been below 145 in my life - although that is pretty small for me (size 6).  I am getting excited about the possibilities.

Anyone else feel this way before surgery?  Thanks for listening.

CW 226.2 GW 125(?) Surgery date July? Dr. Weaver.

Lauren B.
on 4/23/13 3:26 am - Suffolk County, NY

Thank you for sharing your story. I've struggled with the same issues with my mom. It can just be so hard to keep it all together when you're getting pulled apart. Good luck with your surgery. The emotional clarity you are beginning to have tells me you are off to a great start!!!

RNY 8/27/09 SW: 250 LW: 170 CW: 175 On the right path again!!!  

35 pounds of regain!!! 30 lost!!! Just a little more to go.

Price S.
on 4/23/13 4:15 am - Mills River, NC

I think 50 is young.  I was 61 when I had RNY and it was the best thing I have ever done for me.  I am more active than I have been in years before and feel great.  You can have a different life.  It won't always be easy, but losing will be easy in the beginning, exercise will be so much easier and that will have a great effect on depression.  You will have a great new beginning.  Welcome to the other world.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

lerkhart
on 4/23/13 6:18 am

Welcome to the LW Board.  This is a great support system and has helped me alot. 

I was in my mid 50's when I had RNY.  My RNY was much easier than either of my C-sections or my gallbladder(incision) surgery.

Try to start walking or doing some type of exercise now before you have the surgery.  I really think this helps with your recovery.

What type surgery are you going to have?

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
stonerose
on 4/23/13 6:21 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

I started swimming a few months ago and that feels great.  I plan on having the RNY.

southernlady5464
on 4/23/13 6:26 am

Welcome to the LW board.

I was 56 when I had my DS...now 58, best thing I EVER did for myself. I have been obese since I hit puberty at 12 so I vaguely remember how it felt to be a normal size.

I still don't exercise like some others here do but I AM more active.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

italianspice
on 4/23/13 11:40 am - Eastlake, OH

Welcome!

This is an amazing journey you are embarking on. The more support the better, and these people here are Fantastic!

I felt the same way. Looking forward to a new future, a healthy one.

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

VSG on 06/12/13
How is your Hashi's? My hubby was diagnosed in January. We have learned a lot!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 305 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 494 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 513 views