WLS and GERD Question

stonerose
on 5/30/13 2:18 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

Hello all,

Still don't have a RNY surgery date but should have one after dietician appt. next week.  In the meantime questions keep coming to mind so I post here.

Today's question:  When I had the lapband I developed terrible acid reflux.  I had to sleep propped up, and often woke up with *gross* in my mouth.  Had to take Prevacid daily.  I didn't have any of this before the band, and it all stopped when the band came out.  So - has anyone developed GERD after RNY if you didn't have it before? Are the issues the same? 

Thanks,

Christine

Roz !!!!
on 5/30/13 3:08 am - Butler, PA

I had acid reflux before surgery, took my Prilosec every day and lived on Rolaids.  it stopped pretty much immediately after my RNY. 

After about a week I started having trouble with my pouch rumbling and feeling hungry so the Surgeon put me back on my Prilosec and at 4.5 years out I still take it.  If I am laxed and miss a couple of days I still get something that feels like hunger pains and my food seems to get stuck more easily.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Price S.
on 5/30/13 3:12 am - Mills River, NC

It was one of my co-morditities before surgery.  I still take prolosec daily because I get a tummy burning sensation when I miss it for a few days.  I don't have any of the other normal issues, cough, sore throat that you associate with gerd but the tummy burning is enough to keep me on it.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Lauren B.
on 5/30/13 9:25 am - Suffolk County, NY

I didn't have a pleasant time before surgery. All  clear post surgery.

RNY 8/27/09 SW: 250 LW: 170 CW: 175 On the right path again!!!  

35 pounds of regain!!! 30 lost!!! Just a little more to go.

Ladytazz
on 5/30/13 3:12 pm
I had it before my first surgery and the surgery made it much worse, but I had a sleeve and GERD is one of the possible side effects of the sleeve and I had it bad. Since my revision, with a RNY pouch, it is completely gone. In fact I forgot all about it until I read this thread.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views