Feelings hurt...

jlangley
on 7/3/13 3:51 pm - NC
VSG on 08/05/13

My partner and I went to the gym near our home this afternoon to get our family signed up and have an initial meeting with the personal trainer (I'm determined to get into the habit before surgery and try to reduce the "sag").  When I asked the trainer if he had worked with bariatric patients in the past, he jumped to the conclusion that I'm post-op!  But, wait, he didn't stop there!  I walked down a few storefronts to the affiliate where they do Zumba, etc... and while I was gone, he had the audacity to say to my partner "she can lose weight without surgery, what's she thinking"!!  When she told me, I just wanted to cry!  For anyone to judge how you feel inside your own skin or assume that you haven't TRIED EVERYTHING is so irritating... needless to say, we joined the gym BUT will NOT be using him!  I needed to vent - thanks!

Price S.
on 7/4/13 3:47 am - Mills River, NC

Welcome to the lightweights. 

Oh dear, start toughening up now because you are going to get everything from "you're not big enough", to all the horror stories of how Uncle ??? almost died, to Aunt ??? who gained it all back, and more.

I've dealt with the same thing with my knee replacement "didn't you do your PT", etc.

Folks open their mouths and all kinds of stuff just falls our before they engage their brains.

Some folks don't say anything to anyone.  I have always been pretty open that I had RNY because I want to despell the horror stories and show folks that at least me, didn't die, can eat, can exercise and didn't gain it all back. 

So you be the judge of who you tell and who you don't.  Just blow off any of the crazy remarks. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

lerkhart
on 7/4/13 6:19 am

Congratulations on joining the gym!!  Don't let others comments upset you.  You know in your heart what you have tried in the past and that this is the right decision for you.  Some people just don't really understand WLS.  It is a lot harder than anyone knows if you work the program the way you should.  It is NOT the easy way out the way a lot of people think it is.  It might be easy in the beginning to lose the weight, but maintaining is tough!  Exercise will help you in the long run.  Don't let one person keep you from getting a trainer and doing the things that you need to do for you!!

Good luck.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Kermit P.
on 7/4/13 11:16 am

When I joined my gym pre-surgery and told them I was pre-op, he said the same thing and that all I needed was a trainer.  Bunch of BS!!!!  I was so mad I jumped on an elliptical and did 12 minutes (yeah I was out of shape as I thought that was pretty good!).   Needless to say, some people truly are ignorant and I just let them go by the wayside.  This was for ME and my health.  My goals were all physicial and I achieved them all before 1 year post op.....1) run a mile strigiht  2) climb a mtn nearby (7 mile hike)  3) do a spin class without feeling like I would die.

So.....keep your chin up, get moving, and get ready for weight loss!

You are awesome....

~~Jennifer

HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Roz !!!!
on 7/5/13 2:04 am - Butler, PA

Sorry you had to experience that but he is probably just the beginning of many "know it all"  people.  He probably has succeeded in helping others lose weight (and probably proud of it) but everyone's cir****tances are different.  This is why so many don't even share that they are having WLS.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Jody ***
on 7/5/13 2:46 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I had the same thing happen when i was post-op.  I went into a store that sold nutritional drinks/smoothies.  i was recommended to go there from my bariatric meeting.  Well... the lady behind the counter said "I can get that weight off you without surgery"... and that she had lost like 40 lbs with it.  I said "yes, but will you KEEP it off" and she looked confused and said "I do hope so"... my feelings were also very hurt because we are at a very vulnerable stage at that point.

that's when I decided NOT to tell anyone else because it wasn't their business.

Chin up - like it's been said, this isn't the last you'll hear comments.  Next thing you know you'll hear "oh you're getting too skinny when are you going to stop losing weight"? when you are still 20-30 lbs away from goal!!

This is a journey and with a journey we have different experiences.  You will NOT be sorry you did this and if your partner is supportive - that's all that matters!

Vent away - that's what we're here for.

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

jlangley
on 7/5/13 3:53 pm - NC
VSG on 08/05/13

THANK YOU!  I have to say that you guys have all been great... I truly appreciate the support and advice!

defygravity
on 7/5/13 3:32 am - NE
VSG on 07/10/13

I've just learned to look at it as we have done tons and tons of research and they haven't.  They may be well versed in the area of health and fitness, but unless they've walked a mile in our shoes, they have no idea.  

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

jlangley
on 7/5/13 3:54 pm - NC
VSG on 08/05/13

Love the WICKED reference... :)  It's my favorite!!

defygravity
on 7/6/13 1:40 pm - NE
VSG on 07/10/13

Me, too! Hence, my username... Defy Gravity!  It's become one of my life mottos.

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 296 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 422 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 483 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 502 views