Protein to get back on track?

Connie0394
on 9/25/13 3:21 pm - Dallas, TX
Hello all! When I had the gastric sleeve surgery in 2010, I was considered a lightweight at 179 lbs. I got down to 148, then in 2011 I had a stressful life changing experience, which caused me to gain 30 lbs back. I thought I'd just eat about 100g of protein, and it might come off, but you hear non-sleeved people say "oh, you better workout or that protein will make u gain weight !!!". Does protein affect post-bariatric surgical patients differently from now on? I feel like I've never had surgery, until I start eating dense protein. I just want this weight off as fast as I can get it off!!! Does anyone have any tips to help?
MajorMom
on 9/25/13 7:18 pm - VA

I've heard that about protein too but I've never seen it in the bariatric community.  I mean, look at Vitalady, she drinks 5 or 6 small protein shakes a day (made with water) and nibbles for "meals" (more like snacks). She's still at goal, 20 years post-op, after fighting back 3 little weight gains over the years. She gained on fruit, candy and I don't remember the 3d thing, but she got it off by cutting out the carbs and increasing her protein..

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/25/13 9:36 pm
It will depend how much other foods your are eating together with proteins. We need some proteins to repair and build out bodies - but the rest is just calories.
With the sleeve - you probably need 50 gr .. With many RNY I need 100... (If I get less -my labs get low). Any extra - is most likely just fuel. Saying that -proteins need to be converted to sugars for our bodies to use as fuel. This is not as easy as using carbs. Also - most proteins will convert to sugar very slow so that may keep your BS rather stable and reduce the hunger.
I know that I can eat high protein- mid fat- low carb diet - and when I do that I can eat more and lose weight or maintain, than if I introduce more carbs.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Roz !!!!
on 9/26/13 1:28 am - Butler, PA

I had the RNY almost 5 years ago. I have to concentrate on Protein in order to maintain.  It doesn't matter how few carbs I eat the scale knows when I have had them. I believe in drinking my Protein and most of my meals are basically small snacks compared to what you might consider a meal.  Most dense Protein and my pouch don't agree and it takes such a small amount for me to start feeling tight that I would never be able to hit my 100+ total that keeps me maintaining.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

hollykim
on 9/26/13 2:20 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I honestly don't think we can rely on ANYTHING normies tell. Us. They really don't have a clue about our nutritional needs.

I am like Roz ANY carbs even so called good ones will stop my loss and if I continue to eat them ,I will gain. Even with the DS that I had 6 months ago after 3 years with a sleeve,I still find that to be true.

While it is true that eating more protein than our bodies need will cause our bodies to convert the extra protein to fat and store it,the reality for Is that when we can only eat 3 oz of protein or less at a meal,there is not going to be any leftover to store. Even at 100+ grams a day,if we eat 6 small protein meals that is 18 ounces of protein in a day. The grams would vary according to what you actually ate. 18 oz meat meals is about 2 meals for a normie so they are basing their observations on themselves and not on us.
I have never seen anyone on the boards say they gained weight for too much protein,I simply don't think it. Is possible unless ones surgery has truly failed from being poorly don't to begin with.
Gl
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 298 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 423 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 483 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 503 views