Do I need surgery?

alslove
on 2/4/14 3:04 am

I'm been "lurking" on all the forums (I hope that's the correct term) and I feel the Lightweights might be where I can find some info because everyone seems so  nice and helpful.  I have gone to a bariatric seminar to find out about the surgery and spoke with my insurance company and will have to pay a large portion out of pocket so I havent scheduled a visit with a surgeon yet. I do medical billing so I'm kinda obsessive about having all my ducks in a row before committing to something. In 2003 I went thru the process with my husband (now ex) and he was scheduled for a date in the middle of Jan 2004 but on 1/1/04 his insurance changed and the surgeon's office called him and cancelled the surgery. Of course things have changed since then but I just wanted to give you some background on me.  My height is 5'7", my weight is 245 which the calculator says puts my BMI at 38.4.  I have thought about the surgery for a long time, especially because I was physically feeling 'yucky", no energy, hurts to walk or go up stairs, etc. My mother died on 12/8/13 which put me in a depression so my PCP put me on a depression pill in December. I know it takes a few weeks for the med to kick in and now it has and I'm feeling much better-mentally plus my eating has decreased, also due to the med, so now here is my dilemma...Should I have the surgery? Should I wait and try another diet? I have PCOS and take 2 pills for hypertension and when I have tried to walk 10 minutes everyday for a week my calves were so sore I had to stop. I have been tested for diabetes because it runs in my family and although I havent been diagnosed I run low blood sugars.  I know this is my decision but I was wondering if there are any suggestions anyone can give me to help me in that decision. My insurance doesnt require any waiting period and since I'm familar with billing/scheduling I can get the required tests done within 3 months. Obviously I would need money but expecting a large tax refund.  I'm 52yrs old and I think my mother's passing helped me to finally make the decision to have the surgery and since then I was told I'm "obsessed" with finding out as much as possible about the surgery. Luckily, looking at all the forums, it seems like I'm not alone in doing a lot of research (lol). Sorry my note is so long but this is officially my first question on the site.  

southernlady5464
on 2/4/14 3:43 am, edited 2/4/14 3:44 am

Welcome to the LW board!

Okay, questions to ask yourself. No response to me needed but be honest with yourself.

1) How well have diets worked in the past?

2) How long have you been morbidly obese (over a 35 BMI)

3) What caused your mother's death (and I am sorry you lost your mom...mine has been gone sonce 2001 and it is still hard)

4) Have you researched the three best surgeries? The RNY, the DS and the VSG (I do NOT include the lapband as the failure rate is way too high)

5) Do you need just restriction? (VSG) or both restriction and malabsorption? (RNY & DS) For info on the ds, go here

6) Do you need NSAIDS now or have a health history that will require them in the future...if yes, then the VSG or DS are your only real options as NSAIDS are contraindicated with the RNY.

I think that's enough for now.

I was a 35.2 BMI when I started my journey.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

alslove
on 2/4/14 4:16 am

Thank you so much. These are all excellent questions that I will need to consider, especially the first one-how well have diets worked in the past? I have been on diets for over 20 yrs and even tho I lose, it always comes back. This is my argument with people when I tell them I'm considering the surgery, their response is always "you just need to eat less food and exercise!". Been there, done that. I explain to them that I see this surgery as tool for me to use to get healthier and which I will not take for granted. Also thank you for your condolences-my mother was 78 and didnt have wt problems, she had a blood disorder, hx of lung cancer and had surgery in Oct because she broke her hip. Unfortunately it seems once an elderly person breaks their hip,  their quality of life turns downhill.

Is that your kitty? What a cutie!

southernlady5464
on 2/4/14 4:27 am

Yes, that's one of my kitties. That is my baby boy (altho he will be three in May, LOL).

The things you inherit will make a difference in what you consider.

Example, I was already on NSAIDS and knew they would be a lifelong part of my solution. My first surgeon told me I wasn't big enough for the DS...HORSE HOCKEY! And my options were a bit more limited...the VSG wasn't an option on Medicare at the time, it is now. So I found a new surgeon.

God luck whatever you decide.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

alslove
on 2/4/14 5:35 am

Thanks again for your help!

Price S.
on 2/4/14 5:22 am - Mills River, NC

welcome to the LWs.  Yes, we are the friendliest board on OH!    My insurance covered RNY and the band so I really didn't have any choices because I don't think the band would have worked for me.  I still had over $4000 in out of pocket expenses and it was worth every penny. 

There are a few amazing folks who can manage to lose it and keep it off.  I certainly wan't one of them.  I could get it off but then it came back and brought friends.  WLS got me off all my meds and healthier than I have been in year, if not ever.  My Drs are amazed.  It is a tool and it requires a lot of work, but at least now I feel like I have a fighting chance. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

alslove
on 2/4/14 6:32 am

Thank you for your response. It seems like everyone has insurance that covers their surgery so its good to know that someone else had to pay a lot out of pocket and that it was worth it. And I feel the same way, it's going to be hard work but it's a tool that gives me a better chance than all the other things I have tried in the past.

MajorMom
on 2/4/14 7:33 am - VA

Welcome aboard!    

I had surgery at 52. Best decision I've made in a long long time. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

TexasTerritory
on 2/4/14 7:20 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
The decision to have WLS is very tough yet I made my decision in May 2013 and had surgery in July 2013. The process was very quick, I have no regrets.

At the age of 50-something, I knew I didn't want to be fat and old, I knew dieting wouldn't work. I was more than ready to be healthy again, I didn't have comorbidities but I didn't want to develop any either. So part of my WLS was preventative.

I love the lifestyle changes that I have had to make--ok, still learning commitment to exercise. I feel great.

Sorry about your mom. So glad you've sought help.

Christ42
on 2/4/14 8:06 pm

Hi alslove,

What surgery are you considering to have? I'm asking because I have the same problem. I must have surgery, but I can't pick one :( I have good insurance I don't have pay no matter which procedure I chose.

FYI I'm sorry about your mother :(

Where did you go to a bariatric seminar? What did they tell you there?

Cheers,

Christopher

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 293 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 419 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 479 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 498 views