OMG...3 WKS OUT..NOT DOING GOOD

losingthefatt
on 3/4/14 10:23 am, edited 3/4/14 11:50 am - NJ
VSG on 02/11/14

Hi, Everyone! I had my sleeve on 2/11/14.  I am so not felling this (too late now, I know!) However, this is my problem:

For the first two weeks I was on liquids and clear broths (I did the best I could considering the awful stomach spasms I was having). On the 24th I was told I could start eating eggs, jello, pudding and cooked vegetables! Well, on the first day I ended up throwing up, but only after I ate the egg, (multiple times),  I didn't eat the whole egg! Ok, so I just chalked it up to perhaps eating too much! So the next day I ate even less of the egg! Guess what? Nausea and vomiting, OK no more eggs.

Fast forward to yesterday, Monday 3/3. WOW. now I can add fish! Well Monday I measured 1 1/2 oz of fish and a little less than a tablespoon of green beans. I ate most of it at 12:45 for lunch. Guess what? Nausea and vomiting off and on until about 3:45. Yes, I know the exact time because I had to actually had to pull over on the highway to vomit one last time! Ok, so today figuring that I had eaten too much, I only ate 1/2 oz of fish (salmon) today! Lo and behold the exact same situation happened today as yesterday, including throwing up alongside the highway! Why would fish still be in my stomach almost 3 hrs later is a mystery to me.

So I called my surgeons office and spoke to his head nurse who tried to convince me that perhaps the fish was bad but I informed her that was impossible because I brought it Sunday and cooked it the same day! She suggested that I do only liquids for the next couple of days. Ok, sound goo but then what happens after that? I'm going to make an appointment to see the doctor on Friday!This is really more than I bargained for! My daughter had the same surgery in Nov by the same surgeon and she's had none of these issues. She is so not following the diet and yet she followed it the first two weeks only! I am amazed at the tings she eats and has no problems, Yes I know we all heal differently but this is now just crazy to me!

My doctor's meal plans consists of eat only when you're hungry and get in at least 32 of water.non-caloric drinks. Duh! that doesn't sound too healthy to me!So I planned on following the eating plans that I have seen posted here, but that does not seem to be possible with my throwing up!No proteins want to stay down! I am truly at my wits end!

Me and my daughter's first 2 weeks have  been very different experiences. I am aware that every body heals at different rates, But I was not expecting all of this.

I've been reading how great other people have been doing and sadly I can't say the same! I am at truly my wits ends!

I am scared to even try proteins when the time comes to start them age! Any suggestions? Has anyone been through this before?

I really would appreciate any type of feedback or suggestions you may have because I just don't know what to do!

Thanks for reading my long rant! I just hope somebody can offer me some insight beause I am at a loss,,,Kim

Kim...aka LosingTheFatt

"2Blessed...2B Stressed"

Price S.
on 3/4/14 11:03 am - Mills River, NC

So sorry you are having such a hard time.  I do wish Drs would be more responsible and give you some helpful advice.  Glad that you are seeing him again on Friday.

Suggestions. 

Most of us don't go from liquids to eggs.  Lots of folks have problems with eggs so that doesn't surprise me.  And I don't really think of salmon as a soft food.  I would stick to cottage cheese, yogurt, pudding, creamed soup kind of things for a while.  You can add protein powder to those to up your protein.  I'm talking a tablespoon at a time, see how you do, then eat some more.  Each bite should be the size of a pencil eraser.  Tiny.  Concentrate on getting your fluids in.  Warm or room temp sat much better with me that cold.  Eat 6-8x a day, tiny meals.  Slowly add new foods, one at a time.  Stay soft for a week or more.  I know you will get bored and tired of all this but it won't be forever.  You will heal and be able to eat much more, it will just take time.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

losingthefatt
on 3/4/14 11:43 am - NJ
VSG on 02/11/14

Thanks, Price for the suggestions! Do you use unflavored protein powder or do you use some flavors that mix better in certain soft foods?

Kim...aka LosingTheFatt

"2Blessed...2B Stressed"

Price S.
on 3/5/14 11:23 am - Mills River, NC

Sorry I didn't get back to you, I had a busy day.  I used unflavored for things like cream soup and flavors for pudding, cottage cheese, yogurt.  I also loved unjury chicken soup protein early out and still use it from time to time.  I got so sick of sweet stuff and it was about the only thing that wasn't sweet.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/14 6:41 pm - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 02/29/12

I'm so sorry that things are not going the way you wanted.

The only other suggestion I have is that do not drink when you eat or vice versa.  I have the same issue even now - 2 years post-op.  When I have my meals, I refrain from drinking anything about 30 minutes before and after.  That helps me a lot.  As for protein, I use vanilla for things such as my coffee or just as a protein shake.  I've never used the unflavored protein but I think that would taste a whole lot better in things like soup.

Hang in there, Kim!

Jody ***
on 3/4/14 11:36 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Sorry to hear you're having such issues.  Yes, everyone is different and how we react to the surgery....  I think you've gotten some very good advice here, just take it slow.  I know there were several foods I didn't tolerate early out that I could within 6 months or so.  It IS a trial and error time....

Let us know how your appt goes. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

TexasTerritory
on 3/5/14 12:41 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I was just finishing clear liquids by week 3. I did not start fish, tuna or salmon until week 8. Perhaps you are still swollen and healing. I don't have any insight as to why your daughter's experience has been so different from yours.

Also, I don't understand how you are able to eat when hungry~~I am still not feeling hunger. I eat according to the clock now. Hoping things improve for you ASAP.

lerkhart
on 3/5/14 1:38 am

I went from liquids to soft mushy food.  I had a hard time with eggs and fish.  I agree with Price's suggestions.  Soft mushy foods.  I used unflavored protein powder to up the protein in things.  If you want to try some type of meat protein, I suggest blending it up in the food processor or something like a magic bullet.

If you are not blending it up, be sure you take very small bites and chew it complete up before you swallow it.

I would definitely do more than 32 ozs of water/fluids!!  You don't want to get dehydrated.  Not sure if the no drinking rule applies to you with a sleeve.  I know with RNY we are not suppose to drink with our meals and suppose to wait a period of time after you eat to drink. 

Good luck, hope you are feeling better.  If you are feeling nauseated maybe your doctor can give you something to help with that.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Roz !!!!
on 3/5/14 2:52 am - Butler, PA

Congrats on your Surgery!!!  Sorry you are having this problem.  Don't rush your eating.  It's best to start slow so you don't hurt yourself.  Other foods will come in time.

You would think eggs would be a soft food and go down easily but I couldn't tolerate scrambled eggs for years after surgery.  2 different times they laid there and made me sick for a whole day and a 1/2 and when I finally threw up the next evening they all came up.  Later on I tried eggbeaters and I didn't seem to have a problem with them.  Now I scramble 1 egg and eggbeater whites and I don't seem to have a problem with a real egg mixed that way.

I had the RNY so I don't know how different your eating requirements are but I was only allowed blended food the first several weeks (meat in the blender tastes just as good) and then I was allowed to have 1/4 cups of solid food the next week. At 5 years out I still never eat more than 1/2 cup of solid food and about 2.5 to 3 oz. (if I am lucky enough not to get stuck) of meat at a meal. Sliders like soup I can eat a lot more.  Early out I put Unflavored Protein in practically everything I ate:  Soups, SF puddings, Jello, Crystal Lite, Hot Chocolate (used chocolate protein for this), yogurt, cottage cheese (didn't use it then...love it now), etc. I don't drink coffee but there a lot on here that add protein to their coffee.

As far as liquids go I think most of us count all of liquids.  Whether it's water, protein drink, coffee, tea, etc.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...