Did you feel like this in the early stages?

karishka
on 10/28/14 11:29 pm

Good morning.   I need some perspective from people who have been there.   I am 3 weeks out from my surgery and most days,  I still question my decision to do it.   Was it really necessary?   Was it too extreme?   Could I have done it on my own if I had just tried a little harder?   From those of you farther out,  did you have these feelings?   Please tell me I'm not alone.   If you did,  when did you start to feel at peace with your decision?   I mean,  the surgery is done and I am grateful,  but I still have so many thoughts of "what if".  Please tell me I am not alone! 

lerkhart
on 10/29/14 2:45 am

Congratulations on your surgery.  I had one second of regret right after my surgery when I woke up - I thought "What have I done??" but that was it.  Ever since then I knew that was one of the best decisions I had ever made.

I tried every diet and gimmick available and could lose weight, just couldn't keep it off.  

What type of surgery did you have?  Just give it some time.  Once you adjust to your new lifestyle I bet you will be thrilled with your decision.  Just work your program and be getting yourself ready for the maintenance phase because it is the hardest.  Don't be in a hurry to try things that are not on your program.  

Good luck and let us know if we can help you.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 10/29/14 2:56 am - Mills River, NC

Hi and welcome to the Lightweight Board. 

I was 61 when I had RNY and I had been through so many times of gaining and losing that I never questioned my decision.  Plus it was my 4th abdominal surgery so I knew what to expect from that.  It has been the best thing I ever did for myself. 

At 3 weeks, I was tired, sore, having mood swings and trying to learn to eat, drink, etc.  Nothing tasted right.  At least I wasn't hungry like some are.  My D level was low and until that come up, I didn't really have any energy.  By 6 weeks, I was better.  You had major surgery (it would be helpful to add that to your signature line so we know what kind) and it will take you a while to adjust.  When you are losing, you release the hormones that are stored in your fat and it makes you pretty emotional at times. 

Was it necessary?  Too late now to decide it wasn't cause it is done.  So take full advantage of your new tool.  Learn a new way of eating this year while you are losing.  You will have this tool for the rest of your life.  Make the best of it.  And we are here to help however we can.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

karishka
on 10/29/14 4:59 am

Thanks ladies.   You all have made some good points!   And I know,  what's done is done. ...  and I'm not unhappy. .. just not totally at peace.   I had the sleeve done on 10/09/14.

Ladytazz
on 10/30/14 1:06 pm

Right around 2 weeks I experienced some buyers remorse.

I was a revision so looking back it was kind of stupid.  I mean, I was wishing I had never had the revision when I was so miserable before the revision that I was begging for a reversal.

Today the regrets are gone.  Given the cir****tances at the time the revision was the best choice for me.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

karishka
on 10/30/14 1:08 pm

Can I ask what you had a revision from?   Did you have the band? 

Ladytazz
on 10/30/14 1:18 pm

I had a DS in 2002 and by 2010 I had regained 100 lbs and I was sick due to chronic bacterial overgrowth of the intestines.

My revision resolved the issues that caused the overgrowth, most likely a blind loop that trapped the bacteria, and it reduced my malabsorption.  I also had a sleeve that was way too large and constant GERD and it was revised into a RNY pouch.  No GERD since I woke up from surgery.  Same with the bacterial overgrowth.  Gone from day one so the revision was a success.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

karishka
on 10/30/14 1:38 pm

That sounds awful... but I am so glad you became a success story.   Huge congrats on the massive weight loss! 

Roz !!!!
on 11/4/14 1:59 am - Butler, PA

Welcome and Congrats on your Surgery!!!! If you could put your Surgery Type and Date in your Signature or figure out how to get it on the top of your posts that would be extremely helpful.

I didn't have a worry in the world before I had my WLS. My Dr. was amazed that I wasn't scared, worrying, etc. on the day of surgery.  BUT...then it hit me!  When I went for my 1 week check-up I was an emotional basket case. My Surgeon just didn't understand why.  For the following couple of weeks I kept asking myself "why did you do this?). I wasn't in a lot of pain but I was struggling on what and how much to eat. I think it last about a month and I've never had a single regret since then. It's been nothing short of a life changing miracle and I've never been happier!

Keep Posting!  We are here to Lift you up on those bad days!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...