What is the definition of a lightweight?

mljohns
on 12/24/14 12:04 am
DS on 01/27/15

I'm new to OH and just got approval for WLS in late January. I've been reading lots of posts but am finding there seems to be a lot of abbreviations and slang that I haven't learned yet. So, what qualifies as being a lightweight? 100 lbs or less to lose?

Y D.
on 12/24/14 12:35 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Congrats! That's when I'm having my surgery as well :)

Typically a lightweight is defined as having a BMI in around 35-40. Welcome!

mljohns
on 12/24/14 1:10 am
DS on 01/27/15

My BMI is 42 so I guess I'm not a lightweight just yet.

Price S.
on 12/24/14 1:57 am - Mills River, NC

You are a lightweight if you want to be!!!  We accept everyone and anyone who wants to be here and finds our information and insight helpful.  We accept all surgery types.  We are the ones that typically hear "you aren't big enough for surgery" but we know that our health depends on it.

congrats on your date!!! Stick a round and see if you like it here.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Y D.
on 12/25/14 4:28 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Close enough!! No hard and fast rules 

ebonymc
on 12/25/14 9:17 am

Hello! my BMI is 39 but I still get nervous when I think about having the surgery.  I receive good insight here and love to hang around to keep my spirits up. I sometimes worry about losing too much. but as mentioned before, This is what I need to do to better my health.

JenniPenny
on 12/28/14 7:09 am - MN

I was considered a lightweight when I had my surgery in 2001. I had just 100 pounds to lose and ended up losing about 114-115. Somewhere in there - I really don't remember. You probably won't lose too much - we don't have that problem even after surgery. Truth is we have to watch it and regain is always a possibility. The surgery is a tool, use it to your advantage. The weight loss is all up to you. This surgery is amazing - I had open RNY 14 yrs ago and would do it again in a heartbeat every single year if I had to in order to feel this good. I eat well, exercise, move with no problems, no medical problems and no complications. Life is good, I'm happy, healthy and still eat a wonderful varied diet and use portion control. It's a wonderful journey and you're going to love it when you start losing and seeing the results. Good luck to you - congrats on your date.

Jen RNY 2001

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 415 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views