Being here is comforting

ebonymc
on 1/9/15 11:42 am, edited 1/9/15 11:43 am

If I hadn't said it before, I'll say it now. I'm very happy and feel so comfortable posting here. You all have been an inspiration and I feel that here is where I need to be. I really feel welcome here. I visited my Dr. yesterday to decide which surgery is right for me. He told me that RNY would be the better choice due my diabetes and bad history of reflux. I am a lightweight and already so afraid to do this. His nurse came in before him telling me that I was going to be super skinny. I laughed it off but felt down instead of feeling happy. Now I'm more worried and afraid of my outcome. I never wanted to let onto my source of weight loss, but I may not have a choice. My Dr. said that most ppl tend to stop losing when they're at a comfortable weight. How did you handle these comments, because I hear it a lot.

MajorMom
on 1/9/15 7:06 pm - VA

Super skinny is subjective. lol  Most of the time our bodies stop once we reach somewhere within the normal BMI range. You will look like a melted candle at first but you'll redistribute and your face should fill back out some. Keep your protein and fluids up, take your vitamins without fail, and you should be fine. Good luck!  

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

ebonymc
on 1/9/15 11:56 pm

Thanks MajorMom, That really does help to know what to expect. 

Price S.
on 1/10/15 1:49 am - Mills River, NC

I got down to 111 and that was too thin for me but it didn't take long to bounce back (now if I could just stop it again).  I just let my body go as long as it wanted to.  With something like 75% of the world being overweight, we don't know what normal looks like.  And for me, most of my friends had never seen me small so anything under obese looked tiny to them.  The point is to get healthy and if RNY will get you there, go for it.  I wanted a sleeve but I am very glad now that I did RNY. 

At 61, I was open about my surgery.  Still am if I need to be but I don't broadcast it.  Now some folks have never seen me heavy and my eating is pretty normal so no one needs to know.  That is a personal decision.  If you really don't want to tell, you can say something real, like it is a diet you and your dr agreed to.  You are under a dr's care.  What I got a lot was "are you ok"  folks wanting to be sure I didn't have cancer or something.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

ebonymc
on 1/10/15 3:37 am

LOL...I know what you mean, and I know that I'll be asked the same questions. Thanks for giving me some insight on a response that I could give them.

Jody ***
on 1/12/15 2:48 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I had a few well meaning folks say "you're skinny - are you done losing weight"?  That was when I was 25 lbs from my goal - like it was said, they're not used to seeing you smaller.  I just said "yep" and kept on doing what I was always doing.  Next time they saw me they didn't realize/remember....

I stopped losing when I was in the middle of the normal BMI range.  We will advise to lose as much as you can when you have the tools (malabsorption, tiny tummy) as bounce back weight gain is real. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 415 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views