Confused about Different Viewpoints

Navychic
on 3/24/15 5:30 am, edited 3/24/15 6:42 am
RNY on 02/09/15

Hi All, 

I generally read two forums, Lightweights & RNY, and I was a little curious to note how different the menus strings are that are posted in each "Menus & Miles" & "Whats on your _Mon-Sun_ Day Menu".  Largely because "Jo" pointed it out (Hi Jo).  It really seams like no one over there counts carbs or does protein shakes, but instead just monitor food choices in general & qty.   I really do like this forum better because I feel in general its much more supportive and way less negative`(although that one daily email string is a positive group), but its strange how different the two trains of thought are. 

For me right now I can't imagine being able to get anywhere near enough protein w/out my shakes, and I see them as a lifetime thing.  I'd be curious to hear your all thoughts on this?

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Jody ***
on 3/24/15 6:42 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Not sure - but it could be because of different Dr's "rules" regarding shakes/carbs?  I know when I had my RNY protein shakes were mandatory - but they didn't say for how long.  I just had to get in x amount of protein per day.  Now - I'm old... and my RNY was 6.5 years ago, but carbs were not even mentioned.  In fact, my post-op diet was very carby in the scheme of things (I ate a lot of FF refried beans)That's something we here on this board have found works for us.  Some folks like low-fat... some like low calories.   It may also depend on where they are in their "journey". 

You find those of us that have been around for a long time eat pretty close to the same - I guess it's because we found this works for us and we try to share our knowledge. Each persons body is different - and how it responds to sugar/fats/calories/carbs can be different. 

I know some folks on the RNY board can be very opinionated - and that's fine but I rarely go there.... But - now you've got my curiosity piqued - and I'll have to go over and look. 

Now - when I initially had my RNY and for about 2-3 years later I dumped on fat.  I don't so much anymore but if I eat too much I can feel "icky"... But I do love my fat now!! 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/15 2:06 pm
VSG on 11/17/14

I feel the same way you do about protein shakes. I have a hard time getting my 60grams of protein in without having a shake each day.

MajorMom
on 3/24/15 7:21 pm - VA

Great comments!  We LWs seem to march to our own drummers and that may be because we have all surgery types and experiences here.  I follow low carb, high protein because that's an acceptable option from my surgeon's view point and Atkins worked well for me in my early years. Protein shakes are encouraged and the proof is in the long term success.

Hang in there and do what works for you and what you can live with.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

italianspice
on 3/24/15 9:06 pm - Eastlake, OH

Postop the shakes are essential for getting your protein in. 

Forward to about 5 years out-

I have never been a breakfast person so my protein coffee every morning starts my day off right. The shakes are also good to prevent me from grazing. Grazing has lead me to regain.

I think we all need to find out what works for each one of us. No cookie cutter solutions here.

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Navychic
on 3/24/15 10:35 pm
RNY on 02/09/15

I agree, My surgeons intern (healthy young man w/ No MO issues) told me he and most of the staff start their day of with a protein shake, because it starts your day off strong.  I have to admit, pre WLS, I rarely if ever ate breakfast and if I did it was a donut or an egg mcmufffin.  Im happy to have this as an option for the rest of my life, as I honestly never even considered it before.  No matter how many times I heard the statement "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day",lol.

Whoo Hooo Protein Shakes/coffees/etc!

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Price S.
on 3/24/15 10:43 pm - Mills River, NC

I've always been thankful that my Dr group was a believer in shakes.  Even at my 4 yr appointment, they said it is working, don't mess with it.  Way after I was eating well, I had to have the shakes to keep my protein level up.  80g would not work for me, takes more like 100-150g daily.

My group still, at 4 yrs, does not recommend counting anything but protein and fluid.  Their ideal is 5 meals a day, protein and a veggie, one carb like fruit, beans or whole grains a day. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

singdoremi
on 3/25/15 1:29 am - NJ

My Dr. and his group says no protein shakes after the liquid stage, but I still have at least one protein drink a day to get my numbers right. I stick to protein and veggies for meals and snacks, but do include a piece of fruit and usually a serving of 3 Tbl. popcorn made in the microwave a day. I limit my carbs, try to get my protein levels where they need to be, and exercise several times a week.

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

White Dove
on 3/25/15 1:54 am - Warren, OH

I had regain of 14 pounds at 30 months and stopped drinking shakes then.  I don't seem to need much protein at seven years out.  I do my labs yearly and protein is fine.  The only thing I obcess about is daily weighing.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

JB1114
on 3/25/15 1:57 am - Grain Valley, MO

The Lightweights are a really nice group.  No judging, just encouragement.  The RNY Menu group is nice too.  I think most of them are fairly new RNYers.  I commented on a post on the General Discussion and about 4 people absolutely ripped me apart.  They were beyond rude to the original poster.  I blocked them.  And, I didn't let their comments bother me.  One commented that I had ONLY lost 70 lbs. and how could I have surgery since doctors require you to be 100 lbs. overweight.  Actually, I had 83 lbs. to lose and no I didn't lose the last 13, but I'm healthy and like how I look, etc.  I have regained a few lbs. and I'm working on losing them and hope to lost that 13 lbs. too.

Anyway, I digress.  I notice those on the RNY board don't use protein shakes and some that are early out have snacks that I think aren't good choices.  However, I do not comment.  It's none of my business.  My first year I religiously followed my doctor's plan.

I dump on sugar and anything high fat.  I once had a small piece of Pound Cake, both sugary and high fat.  It came right back up.

I really need at least one protein drink daily to get in my protein. 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views