struggling

Jennifer G.
on 3/22/15 2:26 am

Hello everyone.  I wanted to see if anyone can help with some advice. I'm four months post op and I'm still struggling to intake my 60 gm of liquid and protein.  And now that I'm not getting them all in I'm losing my hair. Does anyone have any advice on how I can increase my intake of protein and liquid?  And also any advice on what I can do to stop losing my hair? Any and all advice will truly help. Thank you in advance. 

Gastro sleeve 11/20/2014, Starting weight 299, Current weight 230.5 ,Goal weight 190 or less.   

JB1114
on 3/22/15 10:47 am - Grain Valley, MO

The hair loss is a result of the rapid weight loss and almost everyone goes thru this.  My hair is short and wasn't very thick to start with so it was really obvious.  I wore a wig for 3 or 4 months.  I started taking Biotin before surgery but it didn't seem to help. 

It's really important to get in your protein.  Are you drinking protein shakes?  You can add protein powder to things like pudding, soups and other liquids.  There are some protein soups available too. 

Check our BariatricFoodie.com and TheWorldAccordingtoEggface.com for some great recipes.  They both are experts at adding protein to dishes and the food tastes good..

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Jennifer G.
on 3/22/15 11:43 am

I'm struggling with getting in the full 60 grams of protein a day. I do get in at least 40 grams or so but I just started adding thr shakes back in because I think that's why I'm losing my hair. I'm four months post op and I'm not suppose to continue with protein shakes but I'm going to put myself back onto them. Even though I think it's nasty as ever.

Gastro sleeve 11/20/2014, Starting weight 299, Current weight 230.5 ,Goal weight 190 or less.   

Price S.
on 3/22/15 10:05 pm - Mills River, NC

My Dr group was ok with shakes forever and I am glad.  I still, at 4+ years, need 130-150g of protein to keep my level up.  Even at that I lost hair.  And it didn't all come back but what did has a curl which I have never had before. 

Try different proteins.  I can't stand read to drink ones.  I think they are horrible.  I love Syntrax products.  You can order a sample pack from them, also from Unjury.  Find something you can drink.  If you don't get your protein up, you not only lose hair but muscle as well as fat and muscle is what make up continue to burn fat as time goes on.  Plus your heart is a muscle.  It really is important.

My way of getting in my protein as well as my liquid is to mix a 20oz bottle with water, a crystal light and scoop of Syntax.  So a mango peach crystal light and lemon tea protein.  I do that in the morning and evening and it is only 100 cal each and 23g protein and 40 oz of fluid.

Post to Miles and menus and get some other suggestion. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/15 12:03 am

i eat a lot of vegetarian protein which is basically rice and beans .  My particular favorite right now is Thai organic jasmine rice and fresh green peas or edamame.  I find i have NO PROBLEM eating enough protein this way ( particularly when cooked fresh - i do freeze and microwave portions to have healthy " tv dinners" but sometimes have a problem swallowing   reheated food )

I stopped the protein shakes and protein coffee a while back - I thought they were making me eat more ironically . If i was trying to lose weight aggressively for a role though I might imbibe a protein coffee in the morning though- right now I use a lot of fat free skim powdered milk which is certainly not calorie or carb free - however , five years post op I find the extra calcium  keeps my posture straight and my mouth free of dental issues . Good luck ! 

I DID find that minoxidil helped postpone /curtail the hair loss and biotin/gelatin ( hair nails and skin vitamins ) really help me keep a thick mane  and strong nails .  The vitamins also seem to make my hair and nails grow faster which always helps too as does a periodic trim  which will not only make your hair look thicker but restore vitality and vigor by stimulating the roots .  Don't be afraid of layers ! They're thinning hair's best friend , especially if yours has a little curl .

Koko10
on 3/23/15 12:40 am - NC

Hello, I totally understand what you are going through. I had really thick long relaxed hair but after the sugery, it began coming out. I went on and had 2 additional surgerys within 2 years, unrelated to the Gastric Bypass and I thought I was going bald. I tried Bioten and it didn't help. I increased my protein and it slowly helped. I agree with everyone else. Just concentrate on getting your protein in. Price gave me a wonderful receipe for protein coffee, I love Unjury protein mix and I make all types of shakes and drinks with it. If I really needed a already mixed drink, the best to me was Adkins. I was told to stop drinking protein drinks as well but I am 4 years out and I have never stopped. I have at least 1 a day. It was hard for me to drink them in the winter due to the cold but I will kill them in the summer (especially when I'm busy) and I know I will get the 8 lbs that I've gained back off in no time. Good luck!

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

Roz !!!!
on 3/23/15 1:16 am - Butler, PA

EVERYONE looses hair!!  It usually starts about the 4th month and lasts 6 weeks to a couple of months.  I had a wig all picked out but fortunately I need didn't need it. You've have major surgery and your diet has changed.  The Biotin doesn't work during the losing stage.  When it starts  slowing down then start the Biotin.  Mine actually got thicker and had some body to it. 

Now that I'm getting most of my Protein through food because I'm not allowed all of the Protein Drinks because of a health issue mine is starting to come out again so I do believe that getting in your Protein through "GOOD WHEY" Protein helps keep the hair loss to a minimum.  Protein Drinks also help you get your liquids in. 3 a day at 23g meets the limit that is probably set for you early out.  At about 9 months my weight loss started slowing down so I jumped my Protein Drinks up to 5 a day to get it moving again.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Navychic
on 3/23/15 1:38 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I drink the Syntrax Protein also, Really good options, Mint cookie is my favorite shake and The cappuccino latte is what I use to make my coffee in the morning.  I make them with unsweet almond milk (about 60 calories per 16oz) and do a scoop & half to up the protein to About 35 Grams per serving.  They are both really tasty options.  I agree go for a starter pack to try out different options...

Good Luck

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Jennifer G.
on 3/23/15 11:08 am

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. Can anyone tell me where I can order these protein shakes at. I keep reading about the lemon tea one and I really want to try it. But I don't know where I'm to buy these at. And once again thank you everyone I'm going to push forward and try and get these protein shakes into me. 

cmspang
on 3/23/15 3:04 pm

Proteins I love:

fyi: soy milk has more protein than almond milk.

whole foods turkey chili with white beans have 20g per cup

Quinoa: 9 g protein in 1/2 a cup

Faye Greek yogurt 6oz 13g protein

eggs 7g each

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 299 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 424 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 485 views