My danger times

cspotrun
on 3/26/15 11:24 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I have really been able to pay attention to when I tend to want to graze and snack and eat off plan.  Between 3 and 5 while at work, and from 9-12 at night after the kids are in bed.  Other than those times, I really have no trouble staying on course.  Of course, that is 5 hours per day and a lot of damage can be done!

Prior to surgery, I believe this is when I did the majority of my mindless eating.  From 3-5 at work it gets really quiet, and I can usually get a lot of work done at my desk.  I used to have my snacks with me then to keep me company when I worked so hard!  I have no company now but just try to practice mindfulness and really recognize what I'm feeling and why.  Just by acknowledging the feeling, I can usually avoid giving in and just let myself have the feeling.  It's very hard at night, but I plan for a snack during that time and then shut down the kitchen.  Sometimes I have to hang out in my bedroom to avoid the kitchen.  Pathetic I know, but it's better than cheating!  I hope this gets a little easier over time, but I've heard that this type of vigilance has to last a lifetime.

Karen   

Jody ***
on 3/27/15 1:48 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I also think it's "old habits are hard to break".  It's a mindset (like I HAVE to have my coffee in the morning).  I was just discussing this with my daughter today about why we do things at certain times of the day (eating, drinking, etc).

Nothing really wrong with a snack - if it's the right one and you are feeling hunger.  Some folks do better with 3 meals with snacks inbetween, some without snacks.

If it's not negatively affecting your weight, allow yourself a bite of cheese, a ham rollup, a protein drink, etc.  I'm thinking you would be satisfied with a small morsel and not a big meal.  How about keeping something back from your meal for a snack if that would make you feel better?  Check Roz's Menus and Miles - see what others are snacking on...

This is a lifestyle and all about moderation.  When we attempt to completely cut something out it seems we want it even more. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

cspotrun
on 3/27/15 2:40 am
RNY on 07/01/14

at night I do eat a planned snack so that's all good. I still want chips and cookies after. Of course I don't do it and honestly I would be sick if I did. The afternoons are tougher because I really shouldn't have a snack since we generally eat soon after I get home from work. If I snack then I'm not hungry for dinner. And again all I really want is junk. It's definitely not real hunger. Just boredom grazing. 

Karen   

Jody ***
on 3/27/15 2:45 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Yea I did that last night - prowled the kitchen for awhile.  I'm not a sweet eater - but a salty/crunchy eater.  I ended up with cheese.  Figured I wasn't hungry but just wanted to taste something.  A Babybel cheese and I was good! 

I dumped HORRIBLY in my early days (first 2 years actually).  I was glad I did.  Now I've developed Reactive Hypoglycemia which also keeps me in check.  Simple carbs and sugars can make that rear it's ugly head and that's not fun either (blood sugar drops).  I can control that with diet and know what makes it happen (most of the time). 

You can do it! 

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so

cspotrun
on 3/27/15 6:06 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Yes im a big dumper. Do you know if dumpers are more likely to have issues with RH down the road?

Karen   

Jody ***
on 3/27/15 6:12 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

You know - that's an excellent question.  I haven't put the 2 together.  I haven't seen any articles or opinions on it, but you never know! 

90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so

caliannie
on 3/27/15 5:50 am - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

Thank you for posting this. I have the same danger times. The 3-5 at work coupled with an increase in stress at work & the Snickers bar in the vending machine starts chanting my name. I also know the 9-12 is boredom and I just need to distract myself. I'm deathly afraid of dumping so I prepared to give up the sugar and simple carbs. I know my triggers I just need to find better ways to deal with them. 

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

cspotrun
on 3/27/15 6:01 am
RNY on 07/01/14

The struggle is real!  Nice to know we aren't alone.

Karen   

Price S.
on 3/29/15 9:52 pm - Mills River, NC

I used to have a protein drink mid afternoon, snack late afternoon dinner and a protein shake around 9.  I have been trying for the last year to stop that late afternoon snack, sometimes I can, sometimes not.  Usually I have some pistashios or a cheese stick cut in slices and nuked.  I'm 4 yrs out. 

And I know the go to bed to keep from getting into the kitchen routine.  Very well. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

cspotrun
on 3/29/15 9:56 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Thanks for sharing.  It's good to know I'm not alone, but nice to see you have found a way to manage it long-term.

Karen   

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 415 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views