Worried about approval

mmwishart
on 5/22/15 6:48 am

Hi all:  I'm meeting with the surgeon today. Two weeks ago, I had my last meeting with the nutritionist, and my BMI was exactly 35. she told me not to lose any more weight, because I might not get approved for surgery. I've been pretty careful, but this morning, I weighed myself and I'm 3 lbs lighter than I was at my last appointment! I changed the battery in my scale last night so it may be that its calibrated wrong, because I was right on the money the day before. I didn't eat much yesterday, and went to a zumba class, so I suppose it's remotely possible that I'm 3 lbs lighter than I was the day before. Has anyone here had a problem with getting approved due to being under 35 BMI?

White Dove
on 5/22/15 9:54 am - Warren, OH

It will be very easy for the insurance to reject your surgery if your BMI is under 35.  The nutritionist told you not to lose any more weight.  You need to gain some back.  Most surgeons would not waste their time submitting the paperwork for insurance if you are under the requirements. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Y D.
on 5/22/15 10:24 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Are you currently in a 3 month or 6 month supervised diet phase? Many insurance companies that require that use your starting weight to qualify you for surgery.

Just in case, id eat salty food and up tha****er weight- and wear heavy clothes and shoes!

boxtop2006
on 5/22/15 10:38 am
RNY on 03/24/15

Most Bariatric surgeons weigh you without shoes but I agree with heavier clothing and drink lots and lots of water before you go in. What I wouldn't do is eat anything you shouldn't eat because you would hate to have to start over trying to lose weight if you happen to be denied.  Also, some doctors have their scales a little higher than home scales.  Do you know if your weight was the same at home as it was in the office?  Was there a difference?  Hope all goes well for you today.  Good Luck

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

mmwishart
on 5/22/15 12:10 pm

It all worked out ok. I wore my jacket and my shoes and drank a whole lot of water before I went.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/22/15 2:25 pm

as long as you understand that this can be consider an insurance fraud - you are OK... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 415 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views