Are fat free high fiber carbs really fattening in your experience ?

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/15 9:35 am

Are ( fat free high fiber ) carbs really fattening? Im not talking about so called " low fat " processed foods where each serving as three grams of fat and there are 16 so called servings in a small box a normal person eats in two sittings ... these are FATTENING foods . 

I live on carbs though because I'm a semi vegetarian by inclination ... sourdough fresh bread, rice and beans and huge amounts of air popped popcorn are daily staples . Despite these indulgences I haven't had to struggle with my weight post op thank God .  I do try to eat fat only with protein meals and keep two hours between eating carbs and fat .  

What is your experience ?  I love the way I eat because I feel very energetic, don't have to ever count calories or downsize my portions and am still healthy as a horse five years almost op.  I've had ZERO gallbladder pains , blockages , auto-immune diseases or other health issues post op and heal extremely fast thank God .  I do a LOT of strenuous sports ( some extreme like kiteboarding)and competitive wake boarding  with no adverse effects or injuries so far thank God . I do believe my semi vegetarian healthy carb rich diet does have something to do with this .   What do you think based on your personal experience ? 

Price S.
on 9/1/15 1:55 pm - Mills River, NC

it sounds like you are eating mostly complex carbs, not simple carbs.  I eat a lot of veggies, very little fruit and very little grain.  I am active and energetic.  I do eat normal fats.  olive oil, real butter, real mayo, avocado, oily fish.I still get lots of protein and do protein shakes. My only thought about cutting out fat all together or extremely limiting it is that you need some fat to be able to absorb the vitamins etc from many veggies. Have you had labs done recently?  Do you still take your vits/minerals?

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/15 3:50 pm

I'm a bit overdue with the labs .  I do get lots of fat eating outside the home .. and i love avocado olives , real cheese occasionally etc. I did notice better memory retention after i started taking evening primrose oil supplements lol... and i take those flaxseed oil, tonalin ( combined CLA's ) .I eat protein when i crave it - this afternoon I had air popped popcorn with fat free cheese sauce ( mac and cheese sauce one envelope, 5 slices fat free american cheese , 1 cup skim milk , 2 tablespoons butter buds - coo****il melted .  This is totally addictive and pretty high protein lol.  I also ate 3 ounces fat free feta on top of this with a greek salad and olives and tzaziki dressing .  

I guess what I would say i don't PUSH the protein... ad yes i eat complex carbs rarely simple ones.  I don't combine fats with carbs though inside the home ... when I'm eating catered i basically taste everything .  Luckily so far with exercise I haven't regained but id love to lose another ten lbs ... 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views