Need a Little Boost

caliannie
on 1/14/16 11:05 am - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

Found out last night my mom has to have surgery to sew her eye shut so it will heal. She has shingles in her eye and it's not getting better. When I got to work someone had brought donuts in and I grabbed an Old Fashion. One of my favorites preop. The anxiety of what my mom is going through got to me. My boss said go be with your mom. I grabbed the donut and left. All the way home the donut stared at me. I took a small piece off chewed it for a second and spit it out. I didn't go through a year of fighting with the insurance company, finally having surgery and losing 90lbs for a donut to control me again. I threw the donut away. I am working on finding alternative responses to stressful situations where before I would eat junk. I'd like to hear how you now cope with the stress after surgery where before you would eat. 

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

Price S.
on 1/14/16 11:43 am - Mills River, NC

So sorry about your mom.  I have had shingles 3x, once before the shot, twice after.  Definitely one of the worst experience of my life.  I hope she was able to have the anti viral medication.  They only gave it to me the first time but it really did seem to help.  Once it was on my cheek and chin but never into my eye.  I've heard that can be awful.

I don't know that I was much of a stress eater but I do have stress that haunts me from time to time.  Right now I am getting ready for a big, every 3 year accreditation that will go on next Wed-Friday.  I have tried to get ready for months, doing a little at a time so I don't end up with a panic feeling at the end.  I try to still schedule things for me, driving the ponies, getting outside, seeing friends, getting on line here.  I also try very hard to not have junk in the house.  Actually, DH keeps all kinds of candy and cookies but he keeps them all in one cabinet and I just never open it.  I go to muscle pump 2x a week and that helps work off the stress.  I treat myself to good for me foods that I may not always keep around, special cheese, steaks, so I can not feel deprived.  This is horrible but I never ask DH what he wants for supper so I can always choose.  Is that selfish?  Maybe but if I am cooking, I am ok with it.

Hope you get lots of good ideas.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 1/15/16 9:09 am, edited 1/15/16 1:16 am - Butler, PA

Good Plan Price!!   I call DH and ask him every day want he wants for dinner and it would be so much less stress if I just made the decision.  I don't think DH would even care.  I need to try that!!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/16 5:37 pm - Canada

So sorry to hear about your mom. That sounds terrible. There is a thread on the General Discussion forum that is discussing some of the same topic as you are asking about. It's tag line is "the psychology of eating" I found it very helpful. Good for you throwing that donut away. That took strength! Also, great that you came here for help. It has been one of the best things I do for myself daily. I take the time to relax and read, read, read. Best wishes. Chris

Brandi Girl
on 1/15/16 5:10 am
WLS on 10/18/11

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom! I hope things improve quickly and she gets well soon. I think you did so great in dealing with the stress already! You made it past the donut test! And then you came here and posted about it and asked for help. To me coming here and posting and reading has really helped me find ways to deal with all sort of issue's that have and will come up! It is nice to know everyone here is going through the same things we are and are supportive that we ALL succeed!! I try to start each day posting or at least reading other posts to find encouragement. Do as you did, think of what you have gone through to get to the point you are already at!! Remember how you always promised yourself if given this chance at a new life how you would not blow it!! A few minutes (very few) with a donut is NOT worth the long term effects! And trust me it can easily be long term if it is enough to trigger sugar and carb cravings to start again! Hang in there, your doing GREAT! Best of luck to your mom and all of us!

Roz !!!!
on 1/15/16 9:14 am, edited 1/15/16 1:14 am - Butler, PA

I'm so sorry about your Mom.  It sounds horrible but it amazes me how strong people really are when they are forced to be.  Sending up a Prayer for your Mom and You for healing and the  strength to deal with this.

I am sooooo Proud of you for spitting out the bite you took and throwing the rest away!!!!!   The best thing you can do for yourself is never start eating carbs!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Price S.
on 1/16/16 5:11 am - Mills River, NC

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 296 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 421 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 482 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 501 views