weight regain article

Price S.
on 5/9/16 4:08 am - Mills River, NC

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weigh t-loss.html?_r=0

This was on one of my daily feed places, maybe hungry girl.  Anyway, I tried reading the real study and it was way over my head but this is a news article that covers the same thing.  Somewhere in one of them, it did say that they also looked at RNY folks and that the metabolism shift was no as great for them.  That is good news.  Maintainance is hard enough without also burning fewer calories that a normal skinny person.  Very interesting article about why dieting even with intense exercise still won't work.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

JB1114
on 5/9/16 5:21 pm - Grain Valley, MO

I saw a piece about Biggest Loser on GMA.  I wasn't surprised that contestants regain the weight.  When they go back to real life, they don't have the time to devote to exercise.  IMO, the exercise required on BL is unreasonable.

Interesting that RNY folks don't have the metabolism shift or it's not as great. 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

lykapal
on 5/10/16 4:27 am
RNY on 05/16/16

It was interesting. I think the thing I'm most worried about is that I'm almost 50 years old and going through late perimenopause / early menopause. Have been since I was 38, but finally missing the monthly visits just since December. I can feel that my metabolism is rock bottom right now, but I also have so much pain from all of my extra weight. Some days I can feel extra estrogen surging, and it seems to happen when I'm losing weight. I read that hormones are stored in fat tissue, so I'm horrified that the hot flashes will come back. I was relieved that I was almost empty of estrogen. LOL I'm trying stay optimistic that I'll get my strength back, but my hormones go nuts all day, every day since my diet changed.

My hope is that I'll get some weight off, feel strong enough to add in some strength training and maybe increase my metabolism by adding a few pounds of lean muscle. I don't ever plan to be one of those crazy cross-fitters, but I expect to at least be active and moving for at least a couple of hours each day. Right now it's still a struggle to skip one of my daily naps. I feel just exhausted all day.

I don't want my story to end like most of those people, like my weight loss surgery is a marathon season of "lose it all fast and hang on for dear life" type situations. 

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 300 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 427 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 487 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 506 views