First Appointment

Asparagus
on 9/19/17 9:23 am

I'm new in this journey. WLS surgery was always in the back of my mind but I thought I wasn't heavy enough. I went to a seminar with a friend who was thinking of surgery and I was there to support her.

The seminar really changed my thoughts and realized that this was something I should pursue.

Right now my BMI is 36 but I have high blood pressure.

My first appointment is scheduled for next week. I'll meet the surgeon, case manager, psychologist and sleep coordinator.

My only concern is the supervised diet my insurance requires. I've spoken to several reps and they couldn't give me much detail. I was told it just has to be noted in the surgeon's file they submit to them for approval and there wasn't a time requirement. Seems odd. My regular doctor never made notes in my file about my weight loss attempts so I'm hoping they will not require that.

HonestOmnivore
on 9/19/17 1:34 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

Congratulations on getting started on the journey! Every insurer is a little different, but hopefully this will go smoothly for you. It's worth the wait for sure!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

MajorMom
on 9/19/17 4:05 pm - VA

Sometimes you can actually gain weight on those supervised diets especially if your metabolism is hosed up. Try not to lose too much but record your attempt in a diet diary, that's what they're looking for. Good luck and keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Roz !!!!
on 9/21/17 11:05 am - Butler, PA

Welcome to our LW Board!!! My supervised requirement before approval was 6 months. I had to get weighed by my PCP the same day every month and I wasn't allowed to have a gain. (not sure if it was the insurances rule or my PCP). My PCP didn't keep records either but I made him a list. Have you ever joined WW or some other weight loss organization? Make a list of every diet you have been on with dates as close as you can remember and give it to your Dr.

Keep us updated and Good Luck!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 416 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...