C25K Challenge Group

Week 1

Katari
on 5/20/11 2:29 am, edited 5/20/11 2:29 am - OR
Check - in:

Started first day yesterday, did a 1.85 mile run, not to awfully bad, considering I had the kids, made a couple of stops, and had a hard time figuring out how to run both C25K and the Nike+ GPS programs at the same time!

My next run will be on Saturday Morning.

Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

DeeNadj
on 5/20/11 5:45 am - Malmstrom AFB, MT
Did you figure it out? In case you didn't, or for others that need to know, here's how to run Nike+ and the Podcast at the same time...

1. Start the Couch to 5K podcast. That can be found in the "Music" tab, so just click on Podcasts, and then click on the right week's cast.
2. When the podcast starts, THEN click the button at the bottom of the iPod (the button that takes you back to the opening screens) and click on Nike+GPS. Go through the steps to start, and click on NOW PLAYING when you get the area where you can choose your MUSIC.

If you are using pre 4th Generation iPod OR Nike+ with a sensor in your shoe - I don't remember. But my son has one, and I will update that info shortly.

That being said, I don't know how to let Nike+ know to count my runs in the challenge, so today's big run didn't count. I did 2mi in about 32mins, and of course it didn't count. Anyway, I think I figured it out - you have to go in and click which tag game you want it to count toward. I accidentally created a new one, so discard mine, and stick with Katari's. Sorry, I'm dumb. My next run will be in about 15mins when I go pick up my daughter from school... I will make this work!
Dee
RNY March 21, 2011!! I'm feeling great!!
Busy Mommy of 4, Proud USAF Wife, Quilter, and TRIATHLETE!!               
Katari
on 5/20/11 7:35 am - OR
LOL. I think this first week will be a good learning experience on how to get your electronic "toys" to work correctly! 

Your right I think you have to click game if you want it to count towards the "tag" game. Since I'm also using the nike+ system to track my "biking" miles as well, my whole things gonna be funky!! I wish Nike would just intergrate a "exercise" thing so you could catagorize your cardio work outs into something like run or Bike. Oh, well.

I'm running in the morning and that should go towards my "tag" game. lets see if I can get it all to work correctly this time!
Katie 

DeeNadj
on 5/20/11 12:09 pm - Malmstrom AFB, MT
Okay, so are we all reading off the same sheet of music? Which C25K app did you download? I have Podcasts for Running by Robert Ullrey. 
Dee
Katari
on 5/20/11 2:27 pm - OR
I'm using the actual C25K app with my own music I like to listen to. I don't do the podcasts most of the time, although i should at least give it a try. I love my music though, so I pick stuff that'll really get me going. I might change that in a couple of weeks though and find something with a faster BPM strictly for running with. That might be part of the reason i'm not increasing the speed as much as I should. I seem to go with the beat of the music, so I'll need to charge things up a bit!
Katie 

DeeNadj
on 5/21/11 12:00 pm - Malmstrom AFB, MT

The podcasts I subscribed to are a little less "free form" than that. For example, in week one, Robert provides the music; there is a 5min warm up WALK, then 8 one-minute one*****tuated by 90 second walks. You can walk or run as fast or as slow as you want, because it's basically teaching you how to run. He increases the run intervals, and decreases the rest intervals gradually over time. I don't know which ones you're doing, partially because there about 600 different C25K programs now. When I started running there was just the one, that's why I'm using that one, because I already had it.

Dee
Katari
on 5/21/11 1:16 pm - OR
They are all pretty much the same. When you start running, and list your own music, you find a "pattern". People tend to run to the beats per minute (BMP)  that they hear, thus if you run to something with say 130 BPM you will automatically run slower, The faster the BPM the faster you will run. It's one of those fun psychological things. So I'm fine with my music up to a point and then will have to find something with a higher BPM. You will also find your breathing will change some with the music as well. Which is why some people just will not run with headphones at all. I tend to run with one earpiece in and one out so I can "hear" my breathing (not to mention any cars/bikes etc. coming up behind me).

Once I get past the program again, i'll use it for interval training as well to increase my speed. Oh, such fun to look forward to. LOL.
Katie 

Frances S.
on 5/24/11 2:35 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 I'm also using the C25K app for android.  I listen to Pandora for my music.. i just created a "workout" station and I get all sorts of up-tempo workout remix type music.

Katari
on 5/25/11 6:06 am - OR
What kind of music are you listening to? I'm really needing to expand my workout music!
Katie 

Frances S.
on 5/24/11 2:33 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 I use CardioTrainer for my android phone and I can pick if I'm biking or running or walking, whatever.. not sure if they have it for the iphone tho, if that's what your'e using.