LifeStarts WLS

Groups » LifeStarts WLS » Discussion » Feeling distressed ...

Feeling distressed about obese people in restaurants

Eleanor_M
on 6/18/12 2:26 am - Overland Park, KS
I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I have noticed that every since I have gotten a lot of weight off, if I go to a restaurant, I notice all of the obese people and feel really upset for their state of health and distressed over the amounts of food that I see them eating. I think a little bit about their weight problems and what they could do to solve them. I feel very sorry for these people. It is a significant amount of distress (by me) on these people's behalfs.

I have noticed this occurs more at some restaurants that others, mostly were they serve large quanties of food. The worst is an all you can eat spaghetti bar. For example, my husband and I went to Red Robin and I had these feelings.

This is not a feeling that I have at my monthly surgery support group, even through there are a lot of us that still have a long way to go. I am happy for this group of people because they are all significantly improving their health, and therfore their lives. It just takes a long time to get to the goal.

I had this problem before my surgery, in a lesser way. For example, I have always found a lot of all you can eat "bars" somewhat disgusting. It's just too much food.

Maybe this is like before I became pregnant with my daughter, I never noticed pregnant women. But after I became pregnant, it "seemed" like they came out of the woodwork. They were always there. I just didn't notice them until something that happened to me called my attention to them.

I'm not worried about this phenomenon. I'm just curious to know if anyone else expriences it.

Laura Gonzalez
on 6/18/12 10:25 am - PA
Hi,
I too experience similar feelings and see how my eating put me in danger with my health and not being able to control myself. I look at some and I wonder if they suffer like I did before my surgry or if it will change like it's changed for me or if I will ever return to that way of life. Overweight people always brings me great reflection on my condition before my bypass and now and how I need to take care of this gift of a second chance and pray they find their way too

Eleanor_M
on 6/18/12 11:42 am - Overland Park, KS
Hi Laura,
I see what you mean. I think about those things too.

Great job getting the weight off, BTW.