Lose Weight Find Life

REAL TALK

loleatha
on 4/23/10 2:36 pm - Hattiesburg, MS
OK, I am 17 days out from surgery on Phase 3, pureed foods. I was so excited about making me some chicken salad (chicken, FF mayo, boiled egg in a food processor****il it happened.  WHAT? I am glad you asked. My little 19 year old niece who lives with me and is tall and thin decided she wanted Rotel dip with sausage. So why this little girl sat across from me and said "Wow, I put my foot in this, if I have to say so myself." I just looked at her. Then she said... "How did you enjoy your chicken salad?" How the heck does she think I enjoyed it while smelling sausage and looking and hearing  her enjoy a big plate of chips and Rotel. ......  I wanted to ask her how would she enjoy chewing on a shoe while I ate a big meat lovers pizza in front of her.

On the real... I want her to be herself and enjoy the foods that she can eat, but am I wrong for asking her not to eat them in front of me?

How do you handle your family eating whatever and you can't eat those things anymore? PLEASE help before I snap.
    Live, Love and Laugh!!            
Tracy G.
on 4/23/10 8:45 pm - Abingdon, MD
When I had my surgery my mom came to help with my 2 year old son while I was recovering. She felt the need to cook for my husband and son every night. Here I was on clear liquids and mushy stuff but I had to smell and watch my family eat good.

I suffered while my mother was here. After that I told my husband the issues I was having watching (and smelling) him eat. He wants me to be successful and he wants to help. After that he would eat what I was eating. He is skinny as all get out. It was hard on him as well. As I have been able to expand what I am able to eat I have gotten better about cooking meals that are healthy and that he enjoys. One thing my doctor pointed out to me is that although he may be skinny, he may not be eating healthy. We have made a house change in the foods that come in. Since he loves me and wants me to lose weight to be healthy (he doesn't care about my size) he was willing to adjust. He just didn't know he needed to do that to help me until I spoke up.
Annie M.
on 4/24/10 2:15 am - Monument, CO
What I've done with my family (husband, 3 young adult college sons)  We don't have junk in the house (at least the junk I like) If they want something they can go out to get it, eat in another part of the house.  They have been supportive about my surgery and  my changed dietary needs.
Since it is your house you can/should make good boundaries for yourself.
Hang in there.
velonchie
on 4/24/10 8:39 am - Clifton, NJ
I do all the shopping in my house , so I switch everything to fat free/ low fat. whole wheat etc. at first my family resisted but when I did not change they started to adjust. My ttwo toddlers were easy because mommy was eating their food (lol) the teenagers were a headache but when the weight started coming off they totally did a 180, and now if I am tempted they will set me straight. Have a talk with her, and set your boundaries and stand firm. Much love!

Cathy W.
on 4/25/10 3:31 am
Hi loleatha,

You received fantastic advice from other members.  Your situation is very common.  You know that you've changed but it takes family and friends sometimes a little longer.  They are used to us being on a diet and then going off.  Your niece might consider your surgery one of those diets and not understand.

Just like the other members have shared, I kinda took matters in my own hands to a degree.  I had a family meeting and explained that the things we had been eating were not healthy and that we were going to make a bit of an adjustment in what we had in the house.  My two sons were less than excited but when I stuck to my word and didn't buy or bring in junk (especially what I liked!), they didn't die and adjusted quite well LOL.  Seriously, they were fine once they got used to it.

Another thing that I did was to ask them for their help.  As you get further out, your food options will increase.  Thankfully, you won't be on the Phase 3 for a long time so that day is soon.  I found when I asked for their help and support, they were there for me and understood even more.  You are absolutely not wrong for asking her to be supportive of you and eat that stuff elsewhere.  My teenage son, after I asked for his help and support, ate things that he thought would be bothersome to me in the garage!!

I hope this helps!  Congrats on your surgery!

Cathy

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!