Lose Weight Find Life

Groups » Lose Weight Find Lif... » Discussion » What hunger feels l...

What hunger feels like

Cathy W.
on 4/28/10 2:19 am
It sounds simple enough - do I know what hunger feels like.  I have to say that before I had my surgery that I had no clue.  I always ate (or was full from the last time(s) I ate) so true hunger never was part of my day.  I ate over head hunger and misinterpreted that as true hunger but it wasn't.

Fast forward to almost nine years later, with my goal to combat emotional overeating, I really focus on my emotion management and zero in on those times I want to feed the monster of head/heart hunger.

Yesterday was a prime example.  I was in a funky mood.  No specific reason why.  No disagreements, upsets or anything I could put my finger on.  It was just one of those days.  In the past, I would have wanted to change how I feel.  What better way than to eat.  Yes, I have to admit that even after my surgery, there have been times that I have emotionally eaten to change the way I feel.  Yesterday would have been one of those times.  However, yesterday I didn't!!!   My funk really lasted all day until I went to bed.  Couldn't shake it and actually didn't try all that much.  I went through my normal work and the rest of my day but it stayed.  

As I woke up this morning, the exhilaration I felt was amazing.  Despite feeling pretty funky for no reason, I stayed with it, knowing it wouldn't last forever.  I believed it was just one of those days and believed tomorrow (today) was a new day.  Sure enough, it is!!  Food is such an easy way to deal with funk but I chose ME instead!  As I sit here today sharing this with you, I choose me in the future. I broke that connection even more of using food to eliminate funk.   I'll use this experience in the future and choose ME.

All the best!!
Cathy

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

beccabecca66
on 4/30/10 3:52 am - Houston, TX
I've often wondered what it is to feel hunger.  It seems like anytime i was hungry, it wasn't real hunger, but emotional hunger.  and that happened so often that I never had a chance to feel real hunger. 

Lately, I've been doing the 30 minute thing.  If i'm still hungry in 30 minutes, i can eat.  But in that 30 minute wait time, I have to try other things to distract myself.  Any thing other than eating.  Sometimes, if its later in the evening, i'll just go to bed rather than eat.

--becca

mini_me_ now
on 5/2/10 10:08 am, edited 5/2/10 10:09 am
 great post, this is a topic i have been thinking about alot in the last week... im almost 10 months out of surgery and had started to drift into eating more things and slipping down the path of allowing carbs back in like pie and cookies... even tho i was still dropping sizes i felt i really needed to get foccussed so i cleaned my eating up and took out all junk and foods that could slow me down.
Then i stopped and considered that alot of time i was eating til i was full,  and not stopping when i was no longer hungry.

so  do you guys eat til your fill or  just til your satisfied.?

i have started measuring out 2 oz of meat and ill add 1 oz of cheese and i have noticed im not full but im not hungry either and if i am feeling hunger after 30 mins ill have a drink and see if  i was actually thirsty... so im still not sure if i really know what hunger feels like lol.    
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

happylapbander
on 5/6/10 4:23 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Hunger - what in blazes is that?????  LOL

The best information I've come across (and I'll bet it was from one of those people who "can't eat a thing" when I'm upset - as opposed to me who can "eat a horse and chase its rider". but at any rate it is food for thought.

Tummy hunger will eat anything and just enough of it to feel comfortable (now there's a novel concept - I've been guilty of eating anything looking to find what will "satisfy" me - the operative word here is satisfy.  Tummy hunger will be satisfied.

Head hunger is often specific - at least when it starts - oreo cookies, potato chips, ice cream - rarely. if ever vegetables (except maybe corn) or a healthy food for us.  and there is not satisfaction - as Cathy has posted elsewhere - 1 bite is too much (it sets off binging) and 1,000 bites are not enough (there's no satisfaction)

It's simply a case of mind over (what's the) matter.  As we think so shall we eat.
Jayne
on 5/14/10 1:49 am - Swiftwater, PA
I must admit... I don't think I know what true hunger is....head hunger is a major problem with me.

I need to work on this.