Bariatric Buddy

Groups » Bariatric Buddy » Discussion » New from Hampton VA...

New from Hampton VA

pirate1227
on 3/12/12 4:16 am - VA
Hi!
I'm Kris from Hampton VA. I'm in the bariatric program at Portsmouth Naval Hospital. I just went and did all my labs today, so now I have to wait for a call to schedule my first appointment with the clinic. Did my orientation last week. Keeping my fingers crossed that things go smoothly and it doesn't take forever to get a surgery date.
franRN76
on 3/12/12 9:55 am - PA
hi and welcome!  I am from your neck of the woods.  I lived in E.City, NC and worked at Setara Norfolk Hospital.  I know that they have a great bariatric program there.  I did nursing clinicals for PEDs at protsmouth Naval Hospital.

I wish you the best.  I know that the beginning of the journey can seem tidious and never ending, but it is so worth it.

If I could make one suggestion it would be this:  Start changing your eating habits NOW.  Eat smaller meals (5-6 a day).  Start focusing on protein and getting in 60-80g a day.  Also go ahead and wean yourself off from ccaffeine and refined sugars.  Switch to whole grains instead of white carbs.  Start taking a multivitamin, calcium, VitaD3 now.  Get in the habit of taking it daily.  Once your post-op you will appreciate being in the habit of taking them.  It is hard enough trying to listen to your new stomach.  Making new habits now will make the transition so much better.  Start exercising now!!!!!!

I am 14 months Post-op from RNY.  I have lost 110 pounds and I feel great. 

Mag (Marguerite) P.
on 3/12/12 10:06 am - Green Valley, AZ
HI Kris,
    Nice to meet you. I agree with everything Fran told you. Then you will know you're doing good things for yourself and you wade through the system that gets you to the goal of WLS. Also, as Fran said, it will be things that are already in place as your new food journey begins.
    Keep us posted as to your progress. Mag  

pirate1227
on 3/17/12 12:48 pm - VA
Thanks for the advice! I'm working on being more aware of what and how much I'm eating. Once I progress to having a surgery date I'm going to start weening off of the coffee. I can't imagine eating so little and being full. It's going to be a big change.
Kathy B.
on 3/26/12 2:45 am - Virginia, MN
Welcome to the group Kris.  For most surgeons, it takes 6-9 months from initial orientation to surgery.  Partly due to insurances that require a 6 month dietician visit.  The other ladies said things well.  Start with little changes as you go through the pre op stuff.  Switch to a salad plate, the smaller portions still look like a "full plate"  interesting way to trick the mind.  Try to separate drinking fluids from your meal by 30 minutes, this is very hard for us, we are used to "washing" our meals down.  Your new pouch will not tolerate this after surgery. 
OH Support Group Leader
Come visit us at the bariatric buddy group http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy/welcome

pirate1227
on 4/16/12 10:06 pm - VA
Finally got a an appointment for my first visit on May 3. It's with Dr. Mann. I feel like it's taking forever. I don't think it's clicked with me that this is actually going to happen. I have this fear that something will go wrong and they'll turn me down.
(deactivated member)
on 4/22/12 4:04 am
VSG on 10/17/12
Hi Kris,

I was so happy to stumble into your post! I realize I'm replying late, but I am desperate for information.

I am also from Hampton, VA and plan to work through the bariatric program at PNH. I meet with my PCM on 4/25/12 to request a referral and will probably attend the 5/10 orientation.

I am new to OH and have been lurking trying to find info on the program at PNH. I would love any information you'd be willing to share!

Super thanks!
pirate1227
on 4/22/12 6:03 am - VA
 Hi there,
You're doing exactly what I did. If your PCM puts in the referral, PNH will pick it up. Call PNH Bariatric Surgery (it's on the PNH website) a few days later. They will schedule you for an Orientation. At the Orientation, you'll get a number(kind of like waiting in line at the Pharmacy! *Lol*). They say they will call you in about 2 weeks for a first appointment, but it took them a month to call me. In the meantime they will put in for you to get some labs and tests. My first appointment is on May 3. They say there is about 4 appointments you have to go through before they will give you a surgery date. I'm unsure what to expect on my first appointment, but I'll let you know. Hope that's helpful!

Patrece S.
Group Leader

Kathy B.
Co- Leader