Bariatric Buddy

Groups » Bariatric Buddy » Discussion » Hello From Colorado...

Hello From Colorado

Ster1
on 4/6/12 2:15 am - Centennial, CO
Hello folks, I just joined the group yeaterday, I'm hopeful to accomplish some reasonable weight loss without surgery. I know the odds are against me but not only do I not qualify for surgery because mu BMI is just a hair under 40, my insurance doesn't cover it, and I can't afford it, so I'm trying on my own. I'm goign the adkins and exercise route. I've also started a blog anout it. I hope all this will help, because i've never tried controlling my weight this way.

My weakness is evening. I mean I get tired and bored, and eat too much and drink too much. Do you have a time of day that's worst for you? if so, what are you doing about it?

My favorite food is (you could probably guess) chesseburgers. Cheeseburgers of any kind. My wife and I go out to eat alot (yes another problem) and more often than not, I order the biggest, greasiest cheeseburger on the menu and a big ol pile of fries. And probably beer. What are some of your favorite confort foods, and what do you do to avoid them when you go out?
Kathy B.
on 4/6/12 12:46 pm - Virginia, MN
Welcome to the group Ster1.  You are near qualifying for surgery.  Do you have any other health problems that obesity is affecting?  High Blood pressure, diabetes, cardiac problems, joint issues?  A combination of other issues and obesity will cause some insurance companies to pay for surgery. 

It is good to try to lose weight, any plan that you can follow as a lifestyle.  Do not approach this as a "diet" that you can go off.  Make a journal of your food and activity.  Look back at the journal and see if you can identify any unhealthy trends.  Work with a dietician if you can. 

Switch to a salad size plate instead of the large dinner plate.  This tricks your mind that you are still getting a full plate.  Put your fork down between bites and chew your food thoroughly.  This gives your body a chance to decide if you are satisfied, (not stuffed).  Switch out the high carbohydrate foods for veggies.  Play with different cooking methods to lower the fat content.  Roasted veggies are not mushy or full of fat.  Give them a spray of cooking spray and a sprinkle of seasoning.  Cook in a hot oven for 15 minutes or until the desired level of crunch is left in the veggies.

The Atkins plan is high in protein, just as wls patients are supposed to follow.  (wls = weight loss surgery)

What do you do in the evenings?  Living room, TV, snacks, sound familiar?  Gotta do something different.  Go for a walk,  do something with your hands to keep them busy.  I find that when I am in front of the tube, I tend to snack, even after wls.  I get up, work on a project, go for a dog walk, anything to avoid the trap of snacking.  Keep a supply of healthy snacks prepared and in the front of the fridge.  Clean the cupboards of unhealthy things, include your wife in your plans.  She can offer encouragement and support.

I think I got on my soapbox.  Hope some of this helps.  Try to make one healthy change at a time.  Give the change a week or two to settle in, then add another change.
OH Support Group Leader
Come visit us at the bariatric buddy group http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy/welcome

Patrece S.
Group Leader

Kathy B.
Co- Leader