Bariatric Buddy

Groups » Bariatric Buddy » Discussion » Hello, i'm new and ...

Hello, i'm new and preparing for surgery (and a little scared)

yangie314
on 4/25/12 10:10 pm - MI
RNY on 07/03/12
 Hello everyone, my name is Tammy and I am in the process of going through the 1000 steps to get to surgery. Currently, I am 37 and at the weight of 426 lbs. Currently married with a 2 1/2 year old Skylar. As far as my health, I am pretty healthy with te exception that I have developed diabetes after the pregnancy (yikes). I am looking to have the rny precedure done. Just have a few questions. 

1) How long does it take to go through the steps to have the surgery (i have bcbs with a bmi over 50 so I do not have to go though the 6 month supervised weight loss yay). Just to add that I have had, my physical, psych exam, stress test, nutirition &exercise consultation, and blood work. 

2) how long did it take to heal after surgery. 

why an I doing this? Because I want to be here alot longer. Alot of my friends that are heavy and passing away right and left. Have to get healthy and be here for the fam. Really scared and needing people to talk to about what to expect. 
Kathy B.
on 4/29/12 1:48 pm - Virginia, MN
Great to have you as a member of the group Tammy.  I started the program with the educational group meeting in Feb. and had surgery in Sept.  My insurance did require the 6 mo nutritional counselling, (also bcbs and my BMI was 53.)  I had RNY sept, 2009 and love the smaller me.  All of my co-morbidities are improved. 

The recovery was relatively easy, I need to lift at a moments notice for work, work required me to take the full 6 weeks after surgery.  I was easily tired for some time after surgery, needed just tylenol for pain after about 7-10 days.

Join the chat sessions on monday evenings for group live support, we visit about what everyone present wants to chat about.  Kathy
OH Support Group Leader
Come visit us at the bariatric buddy group http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy/welcome

anne76
on 5/14/12 2:14 pm
I have start this recently I had to go through the 6 months  and now I am awaiting the surgery I can't wait I can say I am really scared of the after weight loss I just saw a show on tv and it sounds weird but what happens to the extra skin after the weight is gone that is my fear right now

Patrece S.
Group Leader

Kathy B.
Co- Leader