Lose it 4 Life Support Group

Groups » Lose it 4 Life Suppo... » Discussion » Pre-Op diet frustra...

Pre-Op diet frustration

writerscrawlz
on 5/19/10 3:50 am - Cheney, WA

Hi! I'm Kathy and I'm giving a big hello from the state of Washington!

I just started the pre-op diet and felt some frustration early on because I cheated on the second day!  Today I started anew, and, I'm pleased to say, I've stuck with it.  I tossed out every bit of food that could tempt me - and even discovered a way to make some tasty lemonaide.  I don't care for powders (aftertaste), but discovered adding some 'real' lemon juice to diet mix works fabulous!  Also, I don't want a vanilla taste to everything, so I found an unflavored soy protein mix that should work well with soups and whatnot.

I picked up some tomato juice because that meets the requirements (and because I don't want the same thing day after day), and at the same time, I can add the unflavored protein mix to it for some texture and spice.

For whatever reason, sugar free popcicles are hard to find - any creative ideas on making some of my own?

I want to make as many of my shakes as possible so I have variety.  I will make this work...because I am worth it (as are we all)

Also, I'm really nervous about the event - what if I am hungry after surgery????

Thanks,

Kathy

deltapearl
on 5/19/10 8:36 am - Lewisville, TX
RNY on 04/26/10 with
Kathy,

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  I know that the pre-op diet is tough (I just went through that very recently) but you just have to keep looking forward to the surg.  I got a ton of stuff done around the house because I was trying to take my mind off of not eating, maybe you too can be very productive!

I guess I'm lucky because I live in the Dallas area and sugar free popsicles are easily accessible, so I haven't made my own.  But maybe you could do it with crystal light????

As for shakes, my favorite right now is the inspire peanut butter cookie mix that you can buy at bariatriceating.com  I ordered a zillion samples online and I'm slowly making my way through them to see which I like.  I hear some people's tastes change post surgery so don't stock up on one you like now just in case.  Might be good to stockpile samples till then.  Also, vitalady.com sells samples of many diff. flavors you might try that.  

Right after surg. trust me you WONT be hungry.  However, I have to tell you I am now starting to have hunger.  It usually comes when I'm getting close to mealtime (I'm only 3 weeks out).  But it is EASILY satisfied with a small amount of food.  The important thing is to eat the portions your nutritionist tells you to eat.  If you do that you can stay out of trouble.  I also have had a few moments, actually just an hour ago where I had head hunger.  It's important to just stick to the plan (easier after surg, trust me!) because eating the wrong things or too much of something will hurt you.

Hope that was somewhat helpful.  Best of luck to you!  It's an exciting journey!!!

312 / 257.8 / 188.4/ 135
HW / SW / CW / GW
Vivian Prouty
on 5/19/10 9:54 am - Fort Worth, TX
 Hi Kathy,

Welcome to LOSE IT 4 LIFE support group.  Trust me...you more and likely will NOT experience any hunger after your RNY or at least not for years.   I am 4 1/2 yrs post op RNY and have really just recently started experiencing a little bit of hunger.   But not that bad.  Try to stay as legal as possible on your pre op diet.   You are doing this to shrink your liver and prepare for your surgery.   As for the popcicles....have you tried getting Crystal Light in the boxes and mixing it up and freezing that.   You can also check out the recipe board on OH....there is always someone there posting shake recipes.   Good luck to you with your journey.   Feel free to PM me anytime if you have questions.   I am on the MB's lots during the day.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

writerscrawlz
on 5/19/10 11:03 am - Cheney, WA
Thank you, both of you.  I'm trying to stay legal - and managed to stay away from most things today - had a few strawberries - and am getting ready to have some broth or tomato juice - not sure which.  Regardless, I did manage to make a tasty icee using Crystal Light, lemon juice, water, and ice.  No additional ingrediants - and yeah, I'm proud of me!

I love walking; I spend much of my time out in the woods with my camera (and was fortunate enough to see a wild cougar a few weeks ago - without my camera - God's snapshot!) taking wildlife photos.

One problem I have is severe foot pain - hoping that will go away after surgery.  On the bright side, got on my mini-trampoline today and did a bit of dancing/bouncing!  While not much, at least I did it.  :)

Oh...what does PM mean?
Thanks,
Kathy

lesleyh2os
on 3/12/14 2:56 am

Hi Kathy, I am from Spokane and am having surgery on April 22, 2014. I go for my pre-op the 4th of April. I am anxious and curious about it all. I am 66 years old, a lady that worked for nutrition services with Spokane schools for 30 years. I am curious about what kind of sugar substitutes you can use. I have done many sugar free diets and may be able to share my recipes. Let me know what the pre-op diet consists of if you have time to respond. Thanks, Lesley

Vivian Prouty
on 5/19/10 12:19 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 PM means Personal message.  Kathy....any additional movements are good pre op.    Good for you and so glad that you made a icee that you like.    Be careful in the woods though.   Don't want any wild animals getting you.    Take care and PM me anytime.    Welcome again to my support group.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"