2013 gastric sleevers

Liquids!!!

Traci Z.
on 7/2/13 10:02 am - CA

Currently I am doing liquid protein for 2 weeks prior to surgery. I have a question. Does it have to only be protein drinks? Or can you also eat some lean protein as well? I'm starving! Help!

​Hungry Girl........

Never say, never - It always seems to bite you in the butt later......

TheNickelMax
on 7/3/13 4:11 am

I'm also in the pre-op phase of the diet... and I believe that different doctors utilize different diets. Mine, for instance, doesn't use a liquid diet; he prefers a high lean protein, no carb/no fruit diet. I'd call your doctor's office and seek clarification about what diet plan they require.

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/13 4:30 am, edited 7/3/13 4:44 am
VSG on 06/10/13

I was told no solids, including lean meats.  That they'd actually had cases where they started surgery and had to abort because of blockage from the liver.  Those cases are why some doctors are switching to liquids only now.  I was told it shrinks your liver so they can better access the surgery location.

But I was also told to talk to my nutritionist if it was really difficult; to discuss options.  

The protein shakes kept me full, I just got sick of the monotony -  a warm savory chicken broth and cup of jello was a feast for tastebuds.

Good Luck!

Traci Z.
on 7/8/13 4:03 am - CA

Doing so much better now!  Down 7lbs and doing great.  Yes, I hate this part and yes I am hungry.  But I think its really in my head.  My stomach doesnt growl.  Only 1 more wee****il surgery!!!!! 

Never say, never - It always seems to bite you in the butt later......

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/13 2:14 pm
VSG on 06/10/13

Isn't it nice to lose weight!? 

gehring13
on 9/4/13 11:52 pm

Hello,

I just started the 2 week diet on Tuesday, and not doing well.  I'm drinking the recommended protein drinks and filling in with non-starchy vegetables and flavored water, but I can feel that I am on the edge and will freak out if someone looks at me wrong.  How did you get through it?  I know this will be worth it in the end, but how do I make it through this part?

Thanks.

avril65
on 9/24/13 12:17 pm - NY

quitting carbs were as bad as quitting smoking, but in time it does get better,,dont give in and always remember why your doing this..

OutwithBenjiBoi
on 9/10/13 1:52 am - MD
VSG on 10/15/13

My doc (Schweitzer at Hopkins) only requires 24 hours of liquid diet pre surgery.

What's the thinking about two weeks vs one day?

JB

JB

Washington, DC

dorothy W.
on 9/26/13 11:31 pm
VSG on 09/05/13

My Dr told me they have to left your liver some to access your stomach, and the 2 weeks of liquids helps by shrinking your liver so they can access the surgery location easier.