2013 gastric sleevers

Beginning

Julie G.
on 7/7/13 4:51 am

Hello!  I have just recently started the process to satisfy my insurance requirements for WLS.  Hopefully that all goes well and I am approved!  Attended the orientation thru the surgeons group, had my first appointment with the dietitian at their office, and this week I begin the first of 4 psychological appointments. I also start a 10 week phone course relating to WLS , lifestyle,nutrition and exercise.  After that I return to the surgeon, and all info is submitted to insurance for approval or denial.  I am really anxious about this part. My BMI is 39 so not greater than the 40 that would get me the surgery without any other medical issues. I do have sporadic high blood pressure, goes up and down with my weight, I also have high cholesterol, but not high enough to be on a Statin.   A month ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, so I am really hoping that,that will help.  That Cpap machine is awful, I think I slept better before the diagnosis. Have been through 2 different mask set ups, but I just can't stand having anything touch my face when I sleep! 

I have told just a few people about my decision to pursue WLS,  So far I have the support of my 2 adult children,my husband and 3 close friends that I work with in the medical field.  Holding off on telling anyone else until I get the " thumbs up" from the insurance department.

So, is what I am going through similar to everyone else?  It certainly has been an education, which is good. I have learned a lot and I know that this will be a life changing decision. It is good that there are others out there to connect with.

Traci Z.
on 7/8/13 4:09 am - CA

I totally understand holding off on telling people.  I am a pretty private person and I have only told my family and a few close friends.  Thats it.  I hate it when people make a fuss over me and I feel that telling everyone would cause that.  I am 1 week from surgery and you will be too very soon I am sure.  Good luck!

Never say, never - It always seems to bite you in the butt later......

Julie G.
on 7/8/13 12:32 pm

Hi Traci,

you must be so excited!  What day is your surgery?  Be sure to let us know how things are going post op! Best wishes!!!

Traci Z.
on 7/8/13 2:55 pm - CA

My surgery is July 15th.  Keep me in your prayers that day.  I know I will ******vous wreck that day.  Just doing the blood tests made my ekg go all crazy and I had to re-take it a few days later.  I know I will be on here alot after post op.  Ive trained the kids and husband to do just about everything around the house in the past few weeks.  LOL

Never say, never - It always seems to bite you in the butt later......

Julie G.
on 7/8/13 10:00 pm

I'll be thinking about, and praying for you.  You are on my calendar for Monday the 15th. Just think what a new and healthy life waits for you!

mickeyshell99
on 7/10/13 12:01 pm - MI

Five days to go!  Will be thinking of you!  I just had my surgery on July 2nd and was released from the hospital on the 4th.  I have a high tolerance for pain and didn't have any pain meds since the surgery itself...the nurse said that hardly heard of but I realized the "pain" was from the incisions in the muscle...like doing a hundred sit ups!  There's still no pain in relation to the stomach but I'm still trying to figure out what's hunger pain, what's gas pain, and what's "full" pain, etc.  Most of my pain was gas pain it stayed right at the base of my neck which caused me to have a few gagging episodes but within 24 hours it finally moved to my lower abdominal area.  Just remember, it's not like childbirth where you just sort of have to go through it.  Let the nurses know your in pain or what's going on...they'll be able to help you through it with their experiences with other bariatric patients or having gone through it themselves!  Deep breaths!  You'll do well!!!  :)  

Lady N.
on 9/26/13 7:27 am

I had my test done too to find out that I have arthritis in my left hip, an bacteria infection in the stomach which they told me not to worry about because the antibiotics will take of it and my EKG was a lil normal. I think I was just nerves. My was done several time. The doctor told me that she will go over that with me Monday. I will update on monday after my appt.

Lisa P.