2013 gastric sleevers

Groups » 2013 gastric sleever... » Discussion » Weight loss rate an...

Weight loss rate and burning stomach

dorothy W.
on 9/27/13 1:04 am
VSG on 09/05/13

I am 55 had my surgery VSG Sept 5 2013, about 3 weeks ago, along with a hernia repair. I have lost 30 pounds so far, 10 of that was from my pre-op diet.  Surgery went great!  I am walking daily as directed.  I am having a little trouble drinking all the water need, but working on it. Its getting easier as the swelling goes down. Just started adding a few soft foods as directed by my doctor for protein. But since doing so my weight loss as slowed to only a pound every couple of days or so and since started eating eggs and greek yogurt, I've been waking up at night with my stomach burning. Anybody else have that happen to them?  Anyway I thought that the weight loss didn't slow down until solid foods were started. Just feeling a little discouraged about what will happen when I start eating solid foods as my weight loss has already slowed down so..Just checking if this is where I should be. Going to Dr next week will talk to him also. Thanks

cbeals
on 11/5/13 3:05 am - WA
VSG on 10/01/13

HI!  I am a new Sleever too!  October 1, 2013.  I am 5 weeks out today.  I also had the Hernia repair.  You are ahead of me on the weight loss as I did not hit 30 down until week 4. 

My Nut. said that the slow down is my body adjusting to the rapid weight loss and is not to be discouraged.  The weight is still coming off but at a moderate 2-3 lbs a week.  Pre-Op I lost 11, week 1 I lost 10, week 2 I lost 4, week 3-4 I was down 5  (over 2 weeks). I am now down 3 more, and finally  into the 200's!

I felt the burning, and my dr. said that it was the medicine I take (similar to prilosec) wearing off.  Its not uncommon.  Either way talk to your doctor, it may be the same.

As this post is over a month old, do you have an update?

dorothy W.
on 12/9/13 1:18 am
VSG on 09/05/13

Thanks for your response, it made me feel much better. That's all it was with my burning also.  Its been 3 months since I had my VSG, I now have no worries, doing Great! The hardest part for me was not drinking while eating. Very happy I had my surgery!