Requesting an angel...

Kym619
on 1/5/08 11:38 pm - Columbus, OH
Hi everyone. I am working through the process right now leading up to insurance approval for my surgery. I've seen my surgeon and the psychologist, and have completed several other of the requirements. I don't have much more to go - mainly seeing the nutritionist, I guess. When I saw the psychologist, she advised me to come out on this message board and request an angel. So that's what this post is for. Also, I appreciate the opportunity to just talk with anybody who's had the surgery about what I can expect, what to watch for in the way of pitfalls, etc.
Toni Ocean
on 1/6/08 8:29 am - Seattle, WA
Lap Band on 01/15/08 with
hi kym, congrats on moving through the hoops! you're lucky to have insurance coverage. in looking for an angel, you might go to one of the boards with folks who have already have surgery. they'll be more likely to be able to answer your questions. this board is for those of us who are having surgery this month...so we're all newbies! toni o
Kym619
on 1/6/08 11:37 am - Columbus, OH
Hi Toni, Thanks for the advice. I'm obviously just a newbie trying to find my way around the site. Kym
stepoffaith
on 1/6/08 12:50 pm - Farmington, NM
But along with an angel who can give good advice if you want friends (newbies) that can share experiences as you experience similar situations (possibly) then you are on the right thread. I post alot on another site and I find that sometimes the newbies can share alot of empathy with each other! Good luck.
NHARTT
on 1/7/08 1:26 am - Tampa, FL
Hello Kym, My name is Natalia and I am post-op 3 years in February. still doing great. I would love to be your angel if you wish. I have a lot of knowledge and can hopefully answer most of your questions. I know you are probably on pins and needles right now I remember how I was. Just let me know if I can be of any help. I would be more than happy to help. Good luck and God bless Natalia
Kym619
on 1/7/08 3:42 am - Columbus, OH
Hi Natalia...Thank you so much for your offer. Where are you located? I'm in Columbus, OH, and I am looking for an angel who lives close enough that I can meet them in person if necessary. If you aren't close, though, that doesn't mean you couldn't be my long-distance angel. Heck, I'll take all the angels I can get! I figure I'll need them! How are you doing since your surgery? I do know of one person who gained all of her weight back, and would obviously not recommend it to anyone. Other than her, I don't know of anyone who hasn't said it wasn't worth it. I don't know anything about her support system - I have a feeling it wasn't good. She is a single mom of a disabled adult child. I believe she works in the mental health field. But I don't think she had much available in the way of family support. I don't know about friends or post-surgery support where she had her surgery done. Anyway, it's encouraging to me that I've heard so many say it's worth it. I have another friend who's had it done, and she's lost about 150 pounds 3 years out from surgery. I've known her since we were both 12, and while she wasn't obese when she was young, she has never been as thin as she is now. I am concerned about her because I understand she's started drinking a lot. She is divorcing her husband of twenty-four years. He is very ill with complications from diabetes. It's kind of a crazy situation, but this particular friend, much as I do love her, has always been an impulsive person. So she's done well with the weight loss, but I'm concerned that she may be turning to another substance. I've heard this isn't very uncommon for people who have had weight loss surgery. Kym
NHARTT
on 1/7/08 4:23 am - Tampa, FL
Well I will be completely honest with you. I have kept my weight off and I still strugle evryday not to have body issues. Yes it is very common for people that have done this surgery to turn to alcohol or any othercompulsive addiction. I myself went thru those demons and am glad to say that I am now thinking with my head on straight. I am in Florida so I would love to be your long distance angel. This is a life changing experience and one not to be taken litely. I have an amazing support system and I still had my own struggles. I also went thru a divorce (but that was needed My biggest advice to you would be and this is my own personal opinion. If I had to do it again would I? Well, yes I would the benefits outway the negatives but I would have gotten some more counseling prior to the surgery. I know most of us just want it done and I was lucky enough that my insurance gave me no hassles. Get in a support group in your local area and research as much as you can knowledge yourself with the tools so you can go in on the big day witha clear head knowing you made the right choice. I don't regret it. I love it. It opened a lot of doors for me. I hope this gave you a little insight I could go on and on but I would be here all day If you have any questions concerns or just want someone to talk to, I would love it. I am here to help you in any way I can.God bless Natalia
Kym619
on 1/7/08 4:48 am - Columbus, OH
Thanks for your honesty and insight, Natalia. I appreciate your willingness to help. I will stay in touch through this website. I am lucky to have a good support system, too. I have a wonderful husband who is extremely supportive of me having the surgery, as are both of my adult children. I also am in counseling, and the psychiatrist I saw for the surgical evaluation advised me to continue with it after surgery, which I will. I also happen to know a very good local support program for women with food and weight management issues that is not a "diet" program. Though it's run by a registered dietician who is also a registered nurse, the name of the program is "Freedom from Dieting." It's a support program for people who are interested in using a non-diet approach to recovery from these issues - in other words, receiving and learning to use the tools to approach difficult emotions that drive you to overeat in ways that don't involve food. The woman who runs this program is a very gifted counselor in these matters. I haven't been in one of her groups since spring of 2006, but I hope to get back into one soon. I also plan to take advantage of the local bariatric groups that my bariatric provider offers on a monthly basis. This is something that my friend who is drinking never did - she never had the kind of support system available to her that I have here. She lives in Galveston, TX, which of course is a small island - not a lot of facilities there. Anyway, while I have what are probably common reservations about the surgery, I feel good about the support I have available. This Website is another place to receive that support from folks like yourself. Hopefully at some future date I can be the one offering support to others. Kym
Most Active
Recent Topics
Join us in 2010
John W. · 1 replies · 657 views
Hello
shaysmom · 0 replies · 786 views
ITS ALMOST TIME!!!!
diamondsparkle08 · 0 replies · 900 views
clogged
CHARO · 1 replies · 904 views