Frustrated!

Jaime D.
on 1/27/09 7:00 am - Kingsland, GA
I am just getting so hungry for something anything but liquids!  How are you all dealing with this?  I feel like its been forever since I've eaten anything that I have had to chew!    I guess it really hasn't been that long, but I find my mough watering everytime I see people on TV eating anything!  I don't even eat seafood but the other day I was craving lobster after watching someone enjoy one on TV!! 

Please tell me I not the only one struggling with this post op diet!
Jaime
Start/Preop/current/goal
248/236/224/140

newbarb2
on 1/27/09 9:29 am
Jaime,

Are you only allowed liquids?  When I was released from the hospital, I was allowed thin/soupy cream of wheat, low fat cottage cheese which really helped, fat free or low fat cream soups made with milk.  Each surgeon is so different.  I hope things get better for you.

Hugs,
Barb

Jaime D.
on 1/27/09 10:25 am - Kingsland, GA
I'm on "full liquids"!  I have never eaten cream of wheat or cottage cheese,  but maybe  will try to eat them just to get out of this rut!!
Jaime
Start/Preop/current/goal
248/236/224/140

hopeful_melissa
on 1/27/09 10:30 am - Euclid, OH
I am still on my full liquids diet as well, but today I had tomatoe soup (no tomatoe pieces, just creamy) and put 3 crackers in it and let them get all soggy before I ate them. It took me about an hour to eat it - about 1/2 cup. It was good and it did give me something to chew.  I'm hoping to be able to start the puree part later this week.
Gordobl
on 1/27/09 10:58 am - TX

You are not the only one struggling with this.  I am post op 12 days and am worn out on the protein shakes. 

I am on soft liquid diet for 5 weeks.  By the time I drink my recommended 60 grams of protein a day I am so full all the time that food is not an option.  But I still have the mental hunger.  Which is the part of me that wanted roasted chicken tonight!

I instead heated 2 oz of tomato soup and thouroughly enjoyed the flavor of it.   

I keep telling myself it is 5 weeks, get over it!  LOL!  (that sort of helps)

Hang in there. 

Dutchie_Pup
on 1/27/09 12:05 pm

I'm sometimes puzzled as I read through the different posts as to how different the diet plans are both pre op and post op. 

I read so many posts that said the doctors put their patients on a liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery. My doctor has everyone do the atkins diet for 2 weeks prior. His explaination for that was that the Atkins diet (all proteins/no carbs) helps to shrink the liver which makes it easier for them to work around come time of surgery.

As for post op diet, they told us to do clear liquids for 3-5 days and then move on to things like protein shakes and thicker liquids for another 5 days and then start on the soft/puree foods after that.  In some of our pre op classes, several people mentioned that they read about doctors that would start their pateints on soft/puree diet immediately after surgery.

It can become very confusing somtimes.

Kim

In GOD (and dogs) We Trust.......

Start of 6 mo pre op classes / 275
Surgery date weigh in  / 236
Goal weight  /  130 to 140

wichita_loser
on 1/27/09 10:28 pm - Wichita, KS
I had to chew too.
Night time is the hardest time.
I got a big bag of ice from Sonic and put a bunch in a cup and chewed on that
during the night. It was crunchy and it took awhile to get through the cup.

Just a suggestion.
~AMANDA~

Biggest 327+/ first appt 307/ surgery day 282/ current 202/ goal 157

deb C.
on 1/29/09 7:18 am - Lake of the Ozarks, MO

Hey , how are things going?

I am finally to the thick liquid,yogurt and puddig part of the diet.  So far now big problems except I fart a lot and hic cough when I drink something cold.  I still tire easily, weight loss is a slow 17 lbs. 

Let me know how you are doing.

Hugs,

Deb

maternalgamer
on 1/31/09 3:58 pm - Redwood City, CA
Hi Jaime:  I am also a Lap Bander just about 2 weeks ahead of you.  I was on liquids (protein shakes and clears and SF jello and popsicles) for about 10 days preop and 2 weeks postop.  Then my next stage (current stage) is thick liquids including yogurt and SF pudding, but nothing that has to be chewed.  I was absolutely starving throughout this long liquid stage.  I started cheating with soft foods at 3 weeks out, which I regret since I was hoping to stick to the rules, but they went down fine and I did feel more full.  BUT my weight loss stalled.  It is definitely tough right now.  Part of the problem for me is hearing that others can eat more foods.  But this time will pass quickly in the grand scheme of things.  I know that doesn't make it easier in the moment, though.  Hang in there, band sister!.
Joan   - 5'6" age 48
Surgery 2.5cc, fill #1 to 4.5cc, fill #2 to 6.0cc, unfill to 5.5cc, fill #3 to 6.0cc in 10cc APS band.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Almost 4 1/2 years
GoldFish · 1 replies · 878 views
Roll call!!
iisme · 0 replies · 800 views
gaining it back
wichita_loser · 6 replies · 1644 views
Feeling stuck...
EllenFan · 2 replies · 933 views
New goals?
LastOptionAttorney · 1 replies · 856 views