RETURNING TO WORK

All-Of-Me1023
on 2/21/09 11:28 am

Hi there!

I am a medical biller. How long can I expect to be off work after a laparoscopic RNY?

Lori

KARA_TOP
on 2/21/09 1:08 pm - richland, WA
I would say 2 weeks is pretty typical.
GoldFish
on 2/22/09 8:55 am
 I was off for three weeks but I probably could have went back after two. Everything went great and very, very little pain or discomfort.

If your going to pee with the puppies you can't run with the big dogs....
sw 373  cw 185  goal 185

lizzyliz1
on 2/22/09 11:36 am
I had open RNY and I was in the hospital for 2 days and went back to work for like 5 hrs the day after I got out. But I was off days after that just to rest up a little and went back to my normal routine there after and haven't had any problems since. Oh yeah and I had a drain so that was an added bonus not! But I was fine I just made sure to get up and walk as much as I could cause sitting down too much wasn't always good. It just depends on your tolerance for anything.
LadyLuvs2Ride77
on 2/22/09 4:10 pm - Bridgeview, IL
I had lap RNY on Jan. 19th and am a dispatcher, (sit at a desk) I went back to work 2 weeks later. I had an infection in one of my incision a week after surgery and I think i should have waited maybe another week, but have bills to pay....Doing fine now and just trying to get in protein and water, i work nights so my schedule for eating and sleeping is off, haven't got it all figured out yet, but, I'm losing and looking forward to losing more when i can start working out. good luck to you

Rita
highest wt316/Surgery wt309/current wt.169/ goal wt. 150

daniel_juarez
on 2/23/09 5:38 am
It's different for everyone, I suppose, but take at least two weeks.

If you have the luxury of the third week, take that one too.  I was feeling a little run down in the middle of the day at two weeks out.  The nice thing about being at home is you can take a nap in the middle of the day.  At the office, people frown on napping under your desk.
matsmom
on 2/23/09 6:19 am
I went back two weeks after surgery. I waited until I was finished with the liquid diet.
agilityrulz
on 2/23/09 8:54 pm - TX
I took 2 1/2 weeks off but could have gone back after 2 weeks.  I was feeling great and talked to some co workers who have had the surgery and they took 2 weeks off then worked half days for another week.  Everyone heals differently so it will depend on how you heal and how you cope with discomfort more than pain.

Good Luck!!!
Chrissy
lilkimsty
on 3/1/09 7:46 am - NY

I believe it's all on how you feel and what tpe of job you have or how demanding your job is and whether it will hinder your healing process.

I am going back on March 9th, I will be 5 wks post op on wednesday.  I had open RNY and had alot of pain and know because of how demanding my job is that I would have run myself into the ground and ended back in the hospital.  So, with that said I am doing great, I have almost no pain with exception of one area that they are watching to make sure it isn't a hernia  Prayer . 

As I said if you can afford it or your have STD that pays you enough, you really need to do what's best for your healing process. Besides it is a full time job trying to learn how to eat and make sure you get all your water and protein and calories in.

There are many days at work where I don't think I took out the time to take a bathroom break and was there from 7am-6pm.  On the way home in the car I thought I was going to wet myself. Wetting Pants  Additionally, most days I didn't even take a lunch which wouldn't work with the way we have to eat 4-6 times a day.  Things are going to change when I get back to work, no more conference calls allowed to be scheduled for my lunch hour.

Make sure you make it clear if your job interferes with your health that your boss knows that you now need to take care of yourself if they want you there.

Good luck to you.

Kim

Create Your Own Ticker           
Kim         HW/221  SW/212  CW/128.4 GW/120

Cheryl N.
on 3/3/09 12:13 pm - Des Moines, WA
I had lapband so I had the surgery on Weds the 28th and had planned on going back on Feb 4th but I took one more day off and went back on Thurs Feb 5th. I have a very very easy job so it was all good. 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Almost 4 1/2 years
GoldFish · 1 replies · 876 views
Roll call!!
iisme · 0 replies · 798 views
gaining it back
wichita_loser · 6 replies · 1642 views
Feeling stuck...
EllenFan · 2 replies · 932 views
New goals?
LastOptionAttorney · 1 replies · 854 views