Meals/snacks

Karen O.
on 3/12/09 4:20 am - Erie, PA
What do you guys eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks?

Breakfast I usually have an egg with cheese or peaches and yogurt.

Lunch I usually have chicken salad or tuna salad.  Sometimes I eat deli turkey and cheese (lots of protein).  

Dinner I cook ... made some yummy jambalaya the other day, but it usually consists of something chicken or turkey meat.

Snacks are a hard one for me, usually a yogurt or string cheese.

Does anyone do toast or breads or pasta yet?  
If you know you are going to be out all day, what do you bring for a snack with you?  I have 3 kiddos, so I am always on the go and sometimes don't have time to plan out my meals. So any ideas for on the go snacks are always welcome ;)
                                                       K a r e n
                    Lap RNY Gastric Bypass JANUARY 26, 2009

wichita_loser
on 3/12/09 7:08 am - Wichita, KS
That sounds about right!
I keep a protein bar in my purse and i always have water with me!
~AMANDA~

Biggest 327+/ first appt 307/ surgery day 282/ current 202/ goal 157

agilityrulz
on 3/13/09 3:06 am - TX
I have tried an english muffin and was able to eat about 1/3 of a half and was full. The time I tried a little pasta that didn't go so well so I am staying away from that for now. I eat a lot of chicken, turkey, just started eating some pork. I usually eat an egg with some cheese for breakfast (need to see if yogurt will work), then turkey chili or fat free refried beans for lunch with some AnyWhey added into it for extra protein, dinner depends on how I am feeling it will either be a shake or something small since I try to eat about 4 meals a day. The sandwhich meat didn't work so well for me but that was a couple weeks back so I will try that again. As for snacks I was a terrible grazer before surgery so I try to stay away from them, but I hear that jerky is a good one as you can always have it with you. I recently started eating about 3-4 Wheat Thins (reduced fat) and that way I get a salty fix and get full at the same time. Then as always lots of water. I may add in a Super Whey Protein shot if needed or just to make sure that I get all my protein and that will also get rid of any hunger I think I may have.

But it sounds like you are doing great!!!
Chrissy

taralynn1022
on 3/13/09 5:25 am
I eat about 6 small round tostitos chips with salsa for a snack and I peel the skin off the grapes and have a few of those as well.

Soup is a good one....

I eat oatmeal for breakfast...or yogurt...

I don't pound the protein like everyone else because a week after surgery I had a massive gout attack in both feet (still ongoing, but getting better) couldn't walk at all for 3 1/2 weeks. So the protein I get is from the food I eat and absolutely no supplements. so I probably get 1/4 of what everyone else is doing for protein.

I'm dying for a salad and some toast!
ALESIA1966
on 3/16/09 6:07 am - New Bern, NC

Hi Karen,

I'm not a January surg person, I'm a long time grad, but like to check in on the newbies once and a while to refresh my memory of the importance of things done when you are fresh and new...Anyway, I still do 5-6 small meals 2-3 of which are snacks...Here are some thoughts, I still use these regularly : 

1 slice deli ham, turkey or roast beef, a little slather of spicy mustard and wrap it around a lf cheese stick

1 stick of an Oh Yeah wafer protein bar, sometimes put a tsp of pb on top

hard boiled egg and 2 slices of precooked bacon

1/2 an apple with tbsp pb with extra protein powder mixed in

a couple of homemade protein balls ( really love choc & pb flavor )

***Once you're Nut allows a few complex carbs ( be careful with the carbs though they can really slow your progress ) you might also add :

1 oz lf cheese slice toasted on arnolds double protein bread

lf colby jack cheese with 1/2 serving of hard pretzel sticks or cheddar pretzel mini's

You all are doing great ...Keep up the good work...

Alesia : start 249 / surgeon's goal 138 / current 142  

jboardman
on 3/16/09 9:15 pm - West Gardiner, ME
Your homemade protein ball sounds interesting!  What is it?
ALESIA1966
on 3/17/09 3:07 am - New Bern, NC

1 cup oatmeal ( not instant )
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup protein powder ( I like choc, can use vanilla also)
5-6 tbsp splenda

Heat PB in micro about 30 seconds to soften, mix in remaining ingredients, moisten with a little dribble of water if it is too dry to stick together...Roll into balls about walnut size...I usually roll the balls in sf cocoa mix for a little extra chocolate zing...

makes 25-30 balls ( serving 1

Stats :  107 cals, 7 fat, 3.5 carbs, 10 protein

Really yummy treat, not for multiple use daily, carbs will slow down loss during beginning phase...My nut did not authorize me to eat this recipe until I was over 6 months out...

Hope you like 'em......

Alesia : start 249 / surgeon's goal 138 / current 142  

jboardman
on 3/16/09 9:13 pm - West Gardiner, ME
I had surgery on January 12.  Our doctor doesn't want us to have carbs or starches until we have lost 50% of our excess weight so I'm not there yet!  

I eat snacks everyday as I wasn't getting enough calories in the beginning which slowed my weight loss for two weeks.  I eat either 2 tbps of peanut butter or a protein bar for snacks.  The protein bars travel easy!
denisemoe1
on 3/17/09 5:06 pm - Avon, IN
I eat 2 ounces each meal, 3 meals a day of egg whites, beans and cottage cheese...that is it.  and Protein bars.  Less than 300 calories a day.  I drink about 80 ounces of only water ever a day.

I exercise an hour a day.  I am not supposed to eat bread till a year out and pasta till 9 months out.  I am never supposed to eat "snacks". 

How in the world are all of you eating all of these things and "snacks" and losing way more weight than me?  I am 7 weeks out and have lost 31 pounds.

Denise, Indianapolis

LAP RNY (1/28/09)
CatC
on 3/24/09 7:45 am
The same thing happend to me the last two weeks, doctor said I wasn't getting enough calories in so my weight loss slowed down completely...It was so fustrating!!! I finally saw a 3 lb loss the other day and trying to up my intake with good foods, beans, meats, shakes, etc.

I am not allowed to eat snack either, I don't even eat bread or oatmeal. Afraid of not lossing fast enough.

Cat

Most Active
Recent Topics
Almost 4 1/2 years
GoldFish · 1 replies · 875 views
Roll call!!
iisme · 0 replies · 797 views
gaining it back
wichita_loser · 6 replies · 1642 views
Feeling stuck...
EllenFan · 2 replies · 931 views
New goals?