Hair loss and dry skin

sbuza81775
on 4/21/09 4:05 am
My sugery date was 1/12/09 and I have been doing real well with weight loss.  About every 20 lbs I hit a wall for a week or two and then it falls back off again.  I have noticed recently that my hair is falling out by the hand-ful and my skin is extremely dry.  Anyone experiance this? 
agilityrulz
on 4/23/09 5:07 am - TX
The hair loss is part of the surgery, your body is kinda in shock due to the lack of nutrients (espeically Protein).  So at about the 3-6 month mark according my doctor and friends that have had this surgery your hair may fall out.  How much depends on how good you were about getting your protein in.  You can use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner and that should help with the hair loss. 
As for the dry skin, I am not sure about that.  My hubby jokes that I should have stock in Bath & Body Works because I use so much lotion anyway.  So I am always putting on lotion so I don't think that I would notice my skin being drier than normal. 

Good Luck and keep up the great work..  I am looking at the hair loss (luckily I have had very little) as a reason to get a new hairdo for the new me!!!   

Chrissy

wichita_loser
on 4/27/09 6:02 pm - Wichita, KS
I have heard of Nioxin shampoo. How does it help?

I'm going today to the mall and am picking up some stuff from bath & body!!
Lotion seems to be something that i will need to start using.
~AMANDA~

Biggest 327+/ first appt 307/ surgery day 282/ current 202/ goal 157

taralynn1022
on 4/24/09 5:05 am
Take Biotin! =)
wichita_loser
on 4/27/09 5:59 pm - Wichita, KS
Is that a vitamin? Whats it do??
~AMANDA~

wichita_loser
on 4/27/09 5:59 pm - Wichita, KS
Hair by the handsful...yep..im there with ya. I am not doing good at getting in ALL my protein so i guess ill keep losing. I have no one to blame but myself.  I was warned several times and didn't follow directions. My thick shiny beautiful hair has always been one of my best qualities but not so much anymore.  My nails are getting brittle too.

Also...i had a few days where i was beyond exhausted. I had to reschedule 2 doctor apps and blow off friends that i had made plans with weeks b4. (SO not like me) I went in to see my reg doctor and she drew some blood. Come to find out my iron is LOW. Not like just a little bit but really really low. The lowest it should be is 40. Mine is 14.  I guess that is my fault too? I go to my surgeon's office on Thurs and my nutrients is in the same building. My husband is going with me and I hope to have some help with my meal planning. Right now I am positive I am not eating right. For a while there i think i was eating more calories then i was suppose to. I really feel like i am going to mess this up and fail at this too.

Anyone having body image issues yet?? My arms, breasts and thighs are pretty bad. I knew they would be but to actually see it...man its hard. Saggy skin, loosing hair and having issues with Iron...all things i thought i was prepared for but i guess i wasn't.

~Hugs to you all~

~AMANDA~

sbuza81775
on 4/27/09 11:44 pm
I think we all tried to prepare ourselves for the upcoming challenges  but no-way to really know how they will effect us.  Just take it one day at a time.

I am in the same boat.  Hair loss, brittle nails, dry, loose and saggy skin.  I know I am not eating right but I am trying to get my vitaims and b12 in everyday.

On the postive side we are all losing weight!!!!!

Hang in there.
lizzyliz1
on 4/29/09 7:53 am
My hair is falling out by the handful also! It has alot to do with the protein and I have been really bad with my protein. I do try to eat foods high in protein but I guess it hasn't been enough. I am taking biotin but its only helped with my facial hair & oh ya and new hair on my back. lol. (I hope it comes back soon the hair on my head that is) so don't feel too bad I'm there with you and I had my surgery on the 27th of Jan.

GOD DOES NOT  GIVE YOU MORE THAN YOU CAN HANDLE.

HEIGHT 4'11"  Age 32  HW(201)   PSW(195)  CW(146)  1st GW(120) 2nd GW (110)
Karen O.
on 5/13/09 1:15 pm - Erie, PA
For the last month my hair has been coming out non stop .... I take Biotin daily & cut 10 inches off my hair so it wouldn't weigh down & lose more.  I think it has slowed down considerably this week..  I am sooo not good with my protein, I have 3 kiddos and it's so hard to remember about ME when I need to put THEM first.  

Dry skin, I don't have that problem, hope you find a fix for it!
                                                       K a r e n
                    Lap RNY Gastric Bypass JANUARY 26, 2009

Most Active
Recent Topics
Almost 4 1/2 years
GoldFish · 1 replies · 876 views
Roll call!!
iisme · 0 replies · 798 views
gaining it back
wichita_loser · 6 replies · 1642 views
Feeling stuck...
EllenFan · 2 replies · 932 views