Need some support, Please!!!!

melhardman2
on 8/15/10 8:01 am - Anderson, IN
Hi there to anyone out there reading.  I had RNY March 2006 and lost 110 pounds within 10 months.  Then I got pregnant, delievered a healthy baby girl who is now getting ready to turn 3.  Unfortunately, I weigh right now more than I did at 9 months pregnant.  I need to lose about 20-25 pounds to.  I've done horrible at eating and exercising.  I drink carbonated beverages and beer.  I guess what I need is someone out there who's been through it to tell me that they understand and be there for me to get my crap together.  I know exactly what I need to do and am planning on going back to the liquid phase tomorrow morning.  Just need some support.  It's definitely been a journey.......had some really great self-esteem there for a while, unfortunately that seemed to increase my drinking......not that I'm a drunk or anything, but one of those increased self-esteem, made me wanna go out and have fun.  I'm really ready to make some changes, but again.....I need some support.  Hubby is here for me, but god love him, is kind of an enabler........supports me no matter what I do. Anyway, thanks for listening and if you have any encouragement or have gone through any of this, would love to hear from ya.  

Melissa 
melhardman2
on 8/27/10 2:00 am - Anderson, IN
Guess I'll just post my own reply. 

Been back on track now for 2 weeks.  So far so good.  No carbonated beverages the entire time (beer, diet coke, etc.).  Hasn't been too difficult.  Tonight will be the test....going out to Buffalo Wid Wings with hubby.  Planning on having iced tea with lemon.  I know it has caffeine, but better than having a couple of beers.  I'll be saving a lot on empty calories.  Lost about 6 pounds so far.  On my way down.  Getting ready to get on the treadmill here in a few.  I think that I can actually do this.  I'm pretty pumped about it.  Decided that it's nice to have support from others, but when I can't get that, well, then just support myself.  After all, that's who I'm doing this for, right? 

Melissa
Rick A.
on 8/27/10 2:50 am - Far Northern, CA
Melissa,

First of all, I'm sorry that no one has posted a response. It is obvious that there are still a lot of lurkers on here, but no one wanted to come out of the closet to talk.

Obviously, I can't relate to the pregnancy related difficulties, but I have had many of my own issues. I know the right things to do, but I have fallen back into old habits.

The good things I still do are, taken my vitamins every day, drink plenty of water, don't drink while I eat, dont drink carbonated beverages.

The bad things I have fallen back into alot of crap that I know I shouldn't. I snack late at night and I quit walking (which was my major source of exercise).

I am embarassed to tell you how much weight I have regained. To be honest, I haven't been on the scale in months. I guess I don't want to know either.

I really lost heart when my mom died on my 4 year weight loss surgery anniversary.

I didn't mean to make this my pity party. I just wanted to know you are not alone in this battle.

I'm glad you have made changes and are working on improving your life.

Keep your chin up and know you are not alone.

Life is great, Rick
melhardman2
on 8/27/10 7:44 am - Anderson, IN
Thanks, Rick!!!!  It's amazing how we are soooo succcessful with this tool at first and then we get back into some old habits......Would be nice if they could do surgery on our mind (making us not like certain foods so much) as well as our stomachs. 

You're definitely doing a lot of the right things, that's great.  The snacking late at night has been a difficulty of mine, too. I'll wake up to go to the bathroom and head to the kitchen to get something.  I've tried not to do that so much the last 2 weeks, but the temptation is still there. 

Sorry to hear about your mom.  It's so difficult losing a parent.  My father-in-law passed away last year around halloween and my mother in law is having some health issues right now as well that is taking a lot of energy from both my husband and myself.  I know how much those two have affected me, I can't imagine it being MY mom or dad.  It would definitely be hard to function at times. 

Thanks again for the response, it's so nice knowing that there are others that struggle.  So many times I feel like a failure especially to those people that know that I've had WLS.....and feel like they're thinking, "YOU had wls???  And you're still THAT big????  You must've been HUGE!!!!"  No one's actually said that and I guess honestly it doesn't matter if they even think that, I'm supposed to be doing this for me and my health.  I just know that I'm not happy with myself.  Perhaps if I had been doing everything that I was supposed to do and still ended up this weight, I wouldn't feel so bad, who knows.  I just know that it's time to make a change. 

What changes are you thinkin' about?  It sounds like you might be ready to get back on the wagon so to speak.  If there's anything that I can do to help our support you, count me in. 

Thanks again for the response!!!!! 

Melissa
Rick A.
on 8/28/10 7:08 am - Far Northern, CA
Melissa,

Thanks for your comments about my mom. I REALLY miss her, but I guess it gets better each day.

I need to do the 5 day pouch test diet and start off with a renewed attitude. One of my biggest crutches is that my wife is an enabler. I don't think she realizes it, but it makes it harder for me to do good when she bakes and has tons of junk food around. I know it's no excuse and I am responsible for what I put in my mouth.

I change shifts next month, so I hope that will make the evening snacking better.

I really am not happy with myself and need to make the necessary changes. It will be a struggle, but it will be worth it. I don't want to go back to where I came from.

Thanks for the encouraging words and good luck with your continuing journey.

Life is great, Rick
melhardman2
on 8/29/10 12:40 am - Anderson, IN
Rick, great idea about the 5 day pouch test......and I totally understand about the enabler.  My mother-in-law is that way, too.  My husband is about 100 pounds overweight as well and has as much or more af a carb addiction that I do.  So he's always eating stuff that WE shouldn't or his mom's sending stuff home with him, or taking us out to eat........it's very hard......and sometimes I get so frustrated and end up yelling at one of them.  I know that they love me, but it's like, "do you want me to be obese and not healthy???   Because that's how I feel!".  You can do this, I know you can.  Keep me posted. 

Melissa
rmkelly
on 8/28/10 11:26 am - Greenwood, IN
Saw your post and would like some advise.  I have gained about 15 pounds and have no clue about getting back on track or what that means,  Any suggestions.  Curious as to what you are doing.  Are you doing liquid diet again? 

Rose
melhardman2
on 8/29/10 12:37 am - Anderson, IN
Hi Rose.  I did the 5 day pouch test.  http://www.5daypouchtest.com/recipes/breakfast_bakes.html

It really helped get my stomach back to a good size and break some of my sugar addiction.  Also, going back to the basics as far as, getting all my water in, no carbonated beverages and working out 5 days/week.  Nothing major, but getting exercise. 

Melissa
rmkelly
on 8/29/10 4:19 am - Greenwood, IN
Thanks so much.  I have lost contact with support groups etc since we moved to Indianapolis from Michigan.  Any suggestions on local support groups in this area.
~ Stylz ~
on 9/19/10 2:09 pm - North of Boston, MA
we're doing this next week, Barbara another marcher from the board and I.  If you would like to join in feel free!  we can be there to support eachother through the 5 day! :)

~Stylz~  
post - op 261.2/current 124.2/goal 125

~~~  down 137 pounds  ~~~

LESS HALF THE PERSON I USE TO BE 

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 610 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 715 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 652 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 776 views