Post-op tip

monetlily4015
on 3/15/09 3:09 am
Ok first off I am NOT a MD, I am a surgical nurse.  Patients who have surgery do well if they do a couple of things...
1. Make sure that you do your turning , coughing and deep breathing.  This helps to clear out your lungs so that you don't end up with some kind of lung problems like pneumonia.
2. when you can drink, do it!  Getting dehydrated can be your worse enemy, you will be more tired and just feel like bunk.
3.As soon as you can (your nurse or surgeon) will let you know when you have to start moving.  It may hurt at first but, you do your body a great service to move!  An added plus is that it can help prevent blood clots.
4. Don't be afraid of your pain medicine, if you need it take it!   Don't let pain get so bad you can't get on top of it!  You are not addictied to pain meds if you need them, there are some who won't need any at all and some who will, be good to your self.
I wish all of you with upcoming surgery a quick and comfortable recovery!
Lorie

In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different. - Coco Chanel
panorris
on 3/15/09 6:23 am - Las Cruces, NM
Thank you for the advice.  I concur with regard to moving.  I had my surgery this past Monday.  Two hours after I returned to my room I asked the nurse if I could get up and walk.  It did me a world of good.  It cleared my foggy head and I felt great afterwards.  I walked several times a day andused my incentive spirometer frequently.  Thank God, and Dr. Washington, there were no complications.

Pat

Starting Weight:  282 lbs.
Day of surgery:  224 lbs
Current weight: 116.0 lbs
Goal weight:  135 lbs.

monetlily4015
on 3/15/09 9:44 am
That is awesome Pat.  Congrats on your surgery!
Lorie

In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different. - Coco Chanel
zootsie
on 3/15/09 10:41 am
RNY on 03/23/09 with
Thanks so so much for the advice. I go in March 23rd.
strawsergirl
on 3/16/09 4:11 am - VA
great advice, thanks!  i go in on te 24th
shoregurl
on 3/17/09 10:46 am - toms river, NJ
You are so right. The moving is so key. I was so mad when everyone kept telling me to move, I thought, I can't!! But it made the world of difference.
 Shannon  

SUNRAY
on 3/19/09 4:23 pm - Sacramento, CA

hi Lori,
You are so right on on all your points!  My surgery was last Monday, the 16th..I woke up to nausea and dizziness...as soon as I got up walking and doing laps around the nurses station, all that cleared up.  The breathing machine also helped to get the anesthesia out of my system..still using it at home to keep the lungs clear...fluid tends to build up if I don't and I need to cough instead.  I really appreciate your comments regarding pain meds; I'm one of those afraid of using too much. thanks for the reassurance that need because of pain is not the same as a beginning addiction!  the only thing missing from your list is for after surgery:  sip sip sip walk walk walk LOL
Thanks again for the great advice
Sunray

243.0/213.0/141/130  Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal

mquirkygirl
on 3/21/09 3:06 pm - New York City, NY
Thanks for this post.  I just really want to emphasize the deep breathing and coughing.  Those are SO important.  I came out of my surgery with a partially collapsed lung, but they didn't know it at the time.  I was held in recovery for TWELVE hours and my recovery nurse was not forcing me to take deep breaths (I was so out of it from the anesthesia.)  I ended up with pneumonia and I am still dealing with it, along with the lung.  It definitely makes recovery harder.  So, TAKE DEEP BREATHS, folks.  Make sure they are forcing you!!!

5'10", HW: 326/SW: 280/CW: 181/Goal: 165

Most Active
Recent Topics
Almost 4 yrs - Checking in
Chootles · 2 replies · 1082 views
Happy third surgiversary!
BobF4 · 2 replies · 1108 views
2 years Post Op
Brittnie S. · 0 replies · 967 views
Success?????
viar · 5 replies · 1057 views