Medications

hfuqua78
on 4/13/09 2:09 pm - Wheat Ridge, CO

I had surgery 3/23, and have persistently had issues taking my medications.  Pre-surgery I was on my anti-depressants, thyroid, cholesterol, and allergy meds.  Post-surgery, I am still on my anti-depressants, cholesterol, and thyroid meds.  However, even after chopping them up into little pieces, I still get nauseated after I swallow them with water.  It takes me nearly two to three hours to take my meds in the morning and evening, and about an hour and a half to take my mid-day meds.  I can't get them in different forms (ie, liquid) because of their status in the pharmacological world.  Does anyone else have this problem?  If so, any ideas how to get past this nausea? 

Stop Sharing_1976
on 4/13/09 10:17 pm
My Dr. prescribed me something for nausa when I left the hospital....You can take a dose of that first (if you have some, if not ask your Dr. to prescribe it) then after about 30 minutes take your meds.  After I crush mine, I always take them with sugar free pudding or applesauce.  Thats the only way they will go done.  Just drop one crushed pill at a time on a spoon with applesauce....you shouldn't taste them.  Hope this helps
hfuqua78
on 4/14/09 8:06 am - Wheat Ridge, CO
That's a really good idea.  I'm going to double check to make sure I can crush them up, but I don't see it as a problem.  Thank you!
Stop Sharing_1976
on 4/14/09 8:54 am

Crushing is the only way you are suppose to take meds and vitamins this early out.  Unless they are chewable.  Swallowing them whole can block your pouch.  That would explain why they are making you sick.

Losing2009
on 4/15/09 4:48 am
I take a lot of meds... rx, suppliments & OTC... I "CRUSH" all pills & tablets, any capsules are opened & I just take the powder or beads. I spend much of my day taking meds, too. Many pills can be "CRUSHED" into a "FINE POWDER" it does take time, but I have not gotten nauseated yet. Just do not crush anything that is extended release or says on the bottle 'do not crush'. If you call you pharmacist they can tell you what is safe to crush. a pill crusher can be bought for about $5 at the drug store.

best to you!

hfuqua78
on 4/26/09 11:36 am - Wheat Ridge, CO
So how do you take your meds after you crushed them all up?  In pudding, yogurt, etc.?  Do you dump all the crushed medicine in at once, or take one at a time?  I'm not quite sure how to do it.
SeaCordWay
on 4/21/09 10:27 am
My doctor suggested taking a little yogurt before meds and that helped me.
hfuqua78
on 4/25/09 1:46 pm - Wheat Ridge, CO
I was told I could still swallow the pills as long as they weren't larger than a pencil eraser (on a #2 pencil of course ).  It takes forever to do that, so the crushing has come in handy!

I appreciate all your ideas.  They have been significantly helpful!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Almost 4 yrs - Checking in
Chootles · 2 replies · 1067 views
Happy third surgiversary!
BobF4 · 2 replies · 1093 views
2 years Post Op
Brittnie S. · 0 replies · 955 views
Success?????
viar · 5 replies · 1049 views