I know, I know....But I'm still discouraged!!

Nan2008
on 9/27/09 6:44 am - Midland, MI

You guys are all doing great....keep up the good work!  We are all better off than we were 6 months ago!

Here's my stats...

Surgery date: 3/9/09
Height: 5' 6"
Starting Weight: 304
Current Weight: 187
Weight lost: 117 pounds
Top Size: Medium's or Large's
Pants size:  14
Starting BMI: 49.1
Current BMI: 30.2

Starting with my pre-op diet which started 2/22 here is what I've lost each month...definitely slowing down as time goes on.....

Month 1     31.2
Month 2     15.5
Month 3     16.5
Month 4     10.4
Month 5     10.9
Month 6     17.3

Month 7      8.10Nan

Nan

HW 300
/ SW 280 / CW 138 /
GW 140
Hit Goal 4/2/2010

globirdie
on 9/27/09 10:43 pm - Middletown , CT
RNY on 03/25/09 with
I had the same stall last month and even the month before.  I even gained a 2 to 4 pound gain then it drops a few then gains a few.   I am a 3 to 4 times a day weigher.   It helps me judge if I really is eating to much.

I have started dropping again.  I even joined a local TOPS chapter to get some support and able to really judge what is going on. 

I do keep this post near me when I get frustrated and read it all the time... I figure when I stop loosing I realize my body is replacing glycogen stores and the water that goes with it.   Here is the post I hope it helps

It's water. This explanation of what's happening is courtesy of Diana Cox.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.  

Lost 25 pounds pre-op
JenJen13
on 9/28/09 9:41 am
Thanks Globirdie!  I need all the encouragement that I can get!  We all do!  :-)
meinnm
on 9/29/09 5:11 am
Thanks so much for posting this!!!  I am also a slow loser. 

Surgery date: 3/18/09
Height: 5' 5.5"
Starting Weight: 273.8 (day before surgery) - Was 294 at start of journey.
Current Weight: 213.8
Weight lost:  60 pounds since surgery, 80.2 total
Starting Top Size: 3XL, 24/26
Starting Pants size: 24/26
Current Top Size: XL
Current Pants Size:14

I'm very happy to be where I am.  I workout pretty strenuously 4-5x a week.  I feel more energetic than I have in years!  I'm still trying to "see" myself in my new body, but like others it still doesn't really register.  I still automatically go to the Women's section in the store even though most of the stuff is just too big at this point.  It's weird that our brains haven't caught up.  People stop me constantly to ask if I'm still planning on losing more weight - duh!  I'm still over 200 lbs! LOL!

Bottom line is, we're not in a race.  We're in it for life.  It just takes a little longer for some of us, but we'll get there!  :o)

Mary
JenJen13
on 9/30/09 3:42 am
Thanks Mary....those are definitely words of wisdom:

"Bottom line is, we're not in a race.  We're in it for life.  It just takes a little longer for some of us, but we'll get there!"

Keep up the good life work!  :-)

JenJen
mquirkygirl
on 9/30/09 5:41 am, edited 9/30/09 5:42 am - New York City, NY
74 lbs is unfreakingbelievable.  How many other diets/exercise plans would have allowed you to experience roughly a 10 lb/mo weight loss average?? 

Have you tried really bumping up your protein?  I know we had diff surgeries but I had a 2 month stall and was ready to pull my hair out.  Last week I ate more carbs than normal, this week I've cut them down considerably and am really loading up on protein.  I think it's given my body enough of a shake up to start losing again.  Maybe that's what your body needs... a shake up of some sort.

Surgery date: 3/10/09
Height: 5' 10.5"
Starting Weight: 326 (highest weight)
Surgery Weight: 280
Current Weight: 210
Weight lost: 70 lbs
Starting Top Size: 2XL
Starting Pants size: 22, 24, 26
Current Top Size: M-L
Current Pants Size: 12-14
Starting BMI: 40.3
Current BMI: 29.8ish

5'10", HW: 326/SW: 280/CW: 181/Goal: 165

JenJen13
on 10/1/09 5:29 am
Thanks for the post Miss Melody!  You're looking great!!!   

You know, I think I'll give the 'shake up' thing a try.... I'll let you know how it works!

JenJen
Melody L.
on 10/4/09 3:46 am - Keizer, OR
Surgery date: 3/17/09
Height: 5' 6"
Starting Weight: 295
Surgery Weight: 273
Current Weight: 207
Weight lost: 88 lbs since pre-surgery, 66 since surgery
Top Size: 14/16
Pants size: 14, still wearing 16's too but they are getting too big really
Starting BMI: 47.6
Current BMI: 33.4

We're all getting there, even if it's slowly...I think it's best to just think of where we were when we started and how we feel now.  Being a slower loser usually only worries me when I gain weight in a week or when I worry about getting to goal.  Talking to other slower losers has helped too.  Keep up the great work everyone!
~Melody~  5'6" Tall, 42 years old

computer_nerd
on 10/14/09 4:36 am
Don't get discouraged. You are losing and that's what really matters. I went for my 6 month post-op follow up yesterday. Doc says my blood work came back perfect. I also went in for a consult with a plastic surgeon about skin removal. It looks like my insurance will pay for the panni and I will have to pay for the tummy tuck but that is a while off from now. I would like to lose another 25-30 pounds and maintain it for a while. Keep up the good work everyone! You are all doing amazing!

Surgery Date: 3/25/09
Height: 5'8 1/2"
Starting Weight: 314
Day of Surgery: 304
Current Weight: 194
Weight Lost: 120 pounds
Top Size: Large
Pants Size: 14
Current BMI: 29.4

Pre-Op 314, Surgery Day 304, Goal 165        
jewels72nd
on 10/19/09 5:54 am
Hey, there, don't be discouraged!  I'm exactly the same as you!  I was getting discouraged but then ppl kept telling me every time they saw me, I was smaller!  Keep plugging on!!!
Money doesn't buy class!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Almost 4 yrs - Checking in
Chootles · 2 replies · 1067 views
Happy third surgiversary!
BobF4 · 2 replies · 1093 views
2 years Post Op
Brittnie S. · 0 replies · 955 views
Success?????
viar · 5 replies · 1049 views