Decision of a lifetime.

ritame
on 4/26/08 12:00 pm
Well it's finally going to happen for me!!! My surgery date is scheduled for May 27th. Since I have finally got a date after trying to get approved off and on for the last 4 years I am more anxious than excited. In fact, I've kept a headache for the last week worrying. The facts are that I'm 27, mother of 2 small children and I'm scared that I'll die and leave behind my husband and 2 babies. I've decided that surgery is the best option for me because I've struggled with my weight all of my life. I've always been heavy and have no idea what a normal life is like. I've dieted my way up to 340 lbs and now I'm miserable. I feel like I will be a better mother and wife after I loose weight and I will have more energy. So far 4 people in my family have had gastric bypass surgery and had excellent results. So why is it that I'm so nervous that all I can think about is this surgery. Why is it at the forefront of my mind every waking moment. I still have close to 4 weeks to go but am afraid I will have drove myself crazy by then!!! Anyone with any suggestions on how to handle a major case of the "what if's?" and all of this anxiety?? Hugs to everyone & thanks! :-&
cheriaire
on 4/27/08 5:53 am - Cheshire, CT
Hi Rita, you are right this is the decision of a lifetime and only you can make it. For what its worth, I am a 55 year old mother of 2 now 25 and 21. I have been overweight ever since I had them. I spent their whole lives being morbidly obese. WLS was never really an option I was given- not a common back then I guess. Now I look back and see how much more I could have done as a mom if I were not obese. My kids love me and never made me feel bad of course, but it makes me sad. and my weight caused very bad medical problems through all these years and they could have lost me then or will lose me soon if I don't do something. So better late than never but I wish I had the opportunity to have done this when I was much younger. Your age is with you for getting through this and healing etc. I am nervous too, I find that reading about my surgery and reading these forums calms me down. All these people did it and they are fine and they are happy. Yes there are some with complications, but the complications of obesity are more likely . I wish you the best. As I get closer I am not more nervous - don't have the time! So much pre op stuff and things to get done. Even the just in case things. I don't think anyone will need them but I will get things in order. I should anyway. Good luck, keep in touch here on the may 08 board. We will do this together. I have one more week. I will let you know how it goes, Cheryl
Patricia R.
on 4/27/08 6:37 am
Sweetie if we were not terrified then I would worry! This is not an easy way out. Letting someone open you up and rework your plumbing has risks. But Remember, so does obesity and not just health risks but a diminshed quality of life as well. I am in the same boat and can't stop obsessing. I love the part in the movie Shawshank Redemption where one character challenges another to either "Get busy living or get busy dying". This surgery is our chance at redemption, to "get out of prison" to begin traveling a new path, one that lets us get busy living. I know my success or failure depends on me and to insure a good beginning i'm obessing but that's a good thing It means we are being proactive and caring about ourselves, something we were not doing on our way to the "300 club" Make list, cross you I's, dot your t's and feel good and at peace with what you've decided. I think it was Lincoln who said 'First determine that the thing can be done -- then do it!" Good luck I will keep you in my thoghts. My surgery is May 7th and since you are the same age as my oldest I feel motherly towards you. Please let me know how everything is going
Jane H.
on 4/27/08 10:10 pm - WA
Rita, I share your anxiety. I am 29 and mother of two under 4. The realization that this surgery is a life changing event for the entire family is setting in. I am not worried about death, odds are on our side. I just hope that all the hopes I have associated with this surgery come to fulfillment. I am more scared of not losing the weight and failing once again. Being tied to this bigger me scares me. All we can do is talk about it and maybe all the worries are for nothing. I am having surgery this Thursday. AHHHH! Good luck Rita!
christikirk
on 4/30/08 6:00 am - lewistown, PA
im right there with you almost the exact same weight and worries im 37 i have 4 kids 18,14, twins that are 8 . im scared i will die and there will be no one to care for them . i also have had family have wls no problems my mom and 2 sisters ,,, doesnt stop me from freaking out though . i want to live to see my littles grow up get married have babies and i know this is the only way christi
ritame
on 4/30/08 4:18 pm
thanks everyone for the wonderful support love you guys!! hugs best of luck to all of you with upcoming surgery.... 4 more weeks for me.. May 27th is d-day!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi May 2008 friends!
Happiness-is-a-choice · 0 replies · 481 views
Happy 4 years
Jeffrey B. · 2 replies · 1438 views
Happy 3 Years!
MotivatedOne · 0 replies · 1140 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 1254 views