meatball disaster pls help

Deb C.
on 6/16/08 10:38 am - Burlington, MA
ok I am so embarrassed but i have to ask for help and advice. I am only 5 weeks post op today and I made a bad mistake. I made spaghetti and meatballs for my family and decided that i would try a few small bites of a mini meatball since it was soft and i chewed it like crazy- figured it would be like puree by the time i swallowed it. Well I was wrong. I have throw up twice in the past 2 hours since eating it and had horrible pain in my chest and the sweats, naseau etc. I feel better since my second wave of throwing up but i am scared and confused. Was this dumping, or just a bad reaction to eating beef, or my penalty for being stupid enough to eat something solid when i am still on purees? Is this normal or is something wrong with me like a stricture? I am so scared I will never be able to eat like a normal person again. My doctor is very strict and I am still on STage 2 purees but i know others with the same surgery date are already eating solids...so what is wrong with me? Please help. Deb in Boston
kmarshall
on 6/16/08 12:32 pm - middletown, RI
hi i ate meatballs at only 3 weeks out and it went well but i no the pain in the chest ya talking about i decided to go to chillis with the family and i had the guiltless chicken plate had rice and broccolli with it i was only able to eat a tiny bit i had a scoop of rice a half of the chicken and a little bit of broccolli it was going fine then all of a sudden i got this severe pain in my chest like gas or something i went to the bathroon and i vommitted then i felt better i just thought i ate to quick i dont no but i was wondering the same thing...i really dont think its anything to worry about i think in my situation i ate to quick and in yours it could just be that you werent ready for that type of meat yet or maybe it was the sauce. good luck to ya kim
jaylynn
on 6/17/08 1:20 pm
What was the fat content of the meatball? That may have been it. I am five weeks out and my plan is ground meats and deli style at this stage. I was advised to buy the highest quality ground meat--95% lean. Before surgery I would buy the premade meatballs and I know the fat content is too high now with the RNY. Each experience is educational and informing to our choices. Tomorrow will be a better day.
deniseg
on 6/23/08 1:50 am - Monticello, AR
Hi Deb, The pain in your chest tells me you either ate it too fast or took too big of a bite. The sweats tells me you dumped, probably on the fat in the meatball. I will dump faster on fat than I will on sugar. When you do start solids and meats, make your own meatballs. Use the leanest ground beef you can find, I use extra lean from wal-mart, its 98/2...you can add a little shredded cheese to keep them moist if you want but not too much because cheese has a lot of fat unless you use fat free. Just chalk it up to the first of many lessons you'll learn the hard way, just like the rest of us
Kristin24
on 6/25/08 8:03 am - NY
RNY on 05/05/08 with
I had the same experience on Sunday. I was eating leftover fish and zucchini and was talking with my husband. I KNOW I ate to big of a bite. The pain was horrible, I had the feeling I was going to get sick but eventually had to make myself. It was the only way to relieve the pain. Kristin
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi May 2008 friends!
Happiness-is-a-choice · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy 4 years
Jeffrey B. · 2 replies · 1437 views
Happy 3 Years!
MotivatedOne · 0 replies · 1139 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 1254 views