What are you taking???

Cally S.
on 6/2/06 11:35 pm - XX
What are you all taken to the hospital with you
Nancy S.
on 6/3/06 5:28 am - Hazleton, PA
Hi Chris! My Doc told me I would only be in for 2 days,providing there is no problems and I keep liquids down. I packed 2 light sleevelss nightgowns(most likely won't need them they usually keep you in a hospital gown because the IV's) and a robe(if you are stuch in a hospital gown and they have you up walking..ah,remember hospital gowns are open in the back and unless you want to bare your assets to all take a robe!!LOL!!!) and slippers with a rubber non skid bottom,hosital floors are slippery!,and a couple pair of panties.I took my own personal items toothpaste,brush,deodorant stuff like that,I also am taking a crossword puzzle book,and a book to read and my husband is going to bring my Ipod,I relax best with music,and the last time I was in the hospital I had a lady in my room that did not shut her mouth for 2 minutes and all night she wanted to yak and complain about everyything,she watched what she wanted on TV and blaring,I could barely stand it.So this time I am covering my bases ..Just in case. Oh,and I am taking a prepaid phone card,I am having my surgery out of town and will be able to call home,hospitals don't allow long distance,,at least ours don't. that is about it! Best of luck Chris!! Nancy surgery/6-8-06
Dee L.
on 6/3/06 8:12 am - Charlotte, NC
I am taking 1 pair of PJ's don't like nightgowns.I will wear then the first day I get up.Slippers the no skid kind.robe,IPOD ,glasses to see it with .my own antidepressent and estragen medication as that is all they will give me.Lipstick and lip balm cause it is so dry there.My inhalers for my asthma,my toiletries.my own soap.I am typing a list of medications and doses and when I take them .A list of my 16 surgeries so EVERYONE does not have to ask me the same thing and when I am nervous I don't even remember who I am.I will give that to the nurse and anesthesia.Its on the chart but they don't read it.MY CELL phone.My own glucometer and CPAP .thats about it.I will write in my journal maybe but probably will do that at home when the drugs are worn off.I am having mine Tuesday.
laney
on 6/3/06 10:07 am - Raleigh, NC
Ok... The plan...My surgery is Tuesday. I ordered one button down night shirt. I'm taking that. I figure I won't get out of the hospital gown right away. Slippers, a robe and undies (again with the undies you won't get them on until the cath is out). Toiletries - toothbrush and paste, deodarant, hair care stuff (just a brush and stuff to pull it back with) Definitely lip balm. (I'm addicted) My inhaler in case they won't let me out of recovery. Otherwise I won't need it. Some trashy romance novels, Possibly a gameboy, maybe my Palm to do some writing on if they allow it. As far as Meds go I was told to leave them all at home except for my inhaler and cream. I'll pack one outfit to go home in, and that will be it. It's just across town, so hubby can grab me something if needed. Please keep sharing folks, I might see something I'm forgetting. Laney
Cally S.
on 6/3/06 11:20 am - XX
Please keep posting everyboy I'm getting great ideas!!! Thanks to all those who have answered all ready and good luck on your surgery!!!
KSchwedler
on 6/4/06 3:36 am - Bonham, TX
I'm taking three gowns, robe, non-skid slippers, Dial Antibacterial soap, glasses, toothbrush, past, mouthwash, dental floss, undies. Since I will be staying a couple of days after release from susrgery at the Rehab house, I will take some boullion cubes, Nectur, cup for water, lip balm and clothes to go home in. Good Luck. Kathleen Schwedler
Tin K.
on 6/4/06 1:30 pm
I still have a few more weeks, but - if you are still of menstruating age... and gender, LOL.. and care what you wear (or prefer tampons) take some in case - alot of people get their period right after even though it wasn't due! Surprise! For me, I can only stand so long wearing those HUMONGOUS hospital pads.. You CAN wear your own underwear with a catheter if you want, you just have to take the bag, and put it through one of your leg holes. It's no biggie, BUT - they'll take it out as soon as your up out of bed, and since we are to walk within hours, that ought to be right away! (unless for some reason you can't get up, and if that's the case you probably won't care too much about undies. pre-paid phone card is good, I'll have my cell which has long distance - and despite what some say, it does NOT interfere with equiptment like they once thought it did. I carry mine in my pocket while I'm at work. I'm a mom and if something happens to my kids they need to be able to get ahold of me!
Tin K.
on 6/4/06 2:23 pm
I forgot a few things - A pillow!! I have to have my own, plus it may be good for driving after release from the hospital. I'm not sure if it will help after lap, but it did after my c-section. Also - I will make sure my husband has the laptop so I can have that with me. He can take it with him for security reasons if necessary. But it will allow me to watch DVD's, and listen to CD's as well as get on here! Now, just hoping that they'll have wireless access! Some hospitals do, and others do not. I'm not bringing a robe, because it drives me nuts to have the IV threaded up the sleeve, and I think I would get too hot. The solution? Wear an additional gown over your original - only backwards. I'm also thinking I'm going to need my camera. I HATE pictures of myself, BUT, I want to be able to look back on this journey, and see where I've come from. I will never get another chance to document this, and if I still hate the pictures when I'm a skinny minny I can toss them! besides what everyone else has mentioned - toiletries etc.. the only thing that I can think of right now is lolipops! SF of course - I need to verify that it's okay, but SOMETHING to keep my mouth moist because that drives me up the wall!! I thought lifesavers but I've sucked those so hard I've accidentally swallowed them before. I don't want that! The other option could be SF cough drops... just something so my throat and mouth aren't irritated until the leak test. I forgot to mention that I'm an RN, so some of my suggestions are from experience dealing with my patients. I really enjoyed reading what others are taking, keep em comin you guys!
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 years!
Jennifer K. · 1 replies · 627 views
Thinking of revision
Elana P. · 1 replies · 721 views
8 Years today
Frank D. · 1 replies · 805 views
8 years!
Jennifer K. · 2 replies · 658 views
7 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 714 views