At Age 68 Open RYN. Anyone Else

KSchwedler
on 6/4/06 3:29 am - Bonham, TX
My family is giving me fits about my decision to have open RYN at age 68. I know they are concerned about the possibility of losing their mother, but I'm in good health except for weight-related problems, i.e., shortness of breath and bad knees. It would help it I could give them some reassurances from someone at my age that has has a success story. They know my decision is made but are puting guilt trip on me. Help!!! Kathleen Schwedler
Tin K.
on 6/4/06 1:57 pm
Kathleen - you may try looking at the grads board?? Also - just from a medical perspective - I'm an RN and I've seen countless folks your age and older do just fine after open abdominal surgeries. You can do this! Stick to your guns even when it's hard, you will be so glad you did. (((HUGS))) K
Nancy S.
on 6/6/06 7:59 am - Hazleton, PA
Hi Kathleen, I know what you are going through with family approval,I delt with this with my mother in law,I finally put my foot down and told her that she can either support me or I will have to back away from the family for awhile,we are a close family and she has backed off and we just do NOT discuss any of it and that way we are both happy, understand,this is a very big decision that only YOU can make,I am sure you have spent most of your life,taking care of your family and always doing for others. This is YOUR turn to do this for yourself! you know that you will be healthy and much happier after yourweight loss! At several of the support meetings I have been to,I have seen many older men and women,and funny enough they are in better shape and healthier now than when they were 21!! this one man had me hysterical he was 62 and he said since his surgery he changed the numbers around to 26!because that is how he feels! he was a true inspiration to all of us!! At 68 you have a ton of living to do! Do this for you! don't let ANYONE influence you to do what they want! how do they know exactly how you feel? If your Dr. feels it is right for you,it is!!! Please be sure to let us know how things are going! We are all in this battle together! Best of Luck & God Bless! Nancy
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 years!
Jennifer K. · 1 replies · 627 views
Thinking of revision
Elana P. · 1 replies · 721 views
8 Years today
Frank D. · 1 replies · 805 views
8 years!
Jennifer K. · 2 replies · 658 views
7 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 714 views