Exercise blues....

kimberwhit66
on 10/11/06 3:25 am - Davison, MI
Alright, is anybody out there having difficulty with motivating yourself to exercise? I just cannot seem to get my butt in gear!!!!!! I know I only have a few more months to take advantage of rapid weight loss... but I just don't want to exercise. I can't find it in me! I even have a very nice treadmill I bought in Jan. and I just stare at it like it's my arch enemy! I don't know if it's because 10 years ago I was addicted to exercise (and other unhealthy things to lose weight).. also, when the weight started coming back on, even the exercise did not help! I've always always turned to exercise to lose weight and I feel like I"m just burned out. I'm down enough now that I feel "okay" to exercise, but I honestly just do not want to. My head tells me I have to ... the Dr.s tell me I need to... but I can't make myself do it. I give a small effort here and there.. and I am very active generally speaking .. I go for walks and such, but I know it's not enough. Even last Sunday..it was SSOOOOOO beautiful outside and my favorite time of year... my husband and I went to the Cider Mill ...walked around a little.. had dinner there and when we came home he wanted to go for a walk because it was so nice.. and I just sat there like a big lump. I looked at him like he suggested running a marathon! Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get motivated? Nothing sounds good to me.. not even walking the dog! Blessings, Kim
loose weight now
on 10/11/06 4:50 am - FL
I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you, but your not alone. I am in the same boat as you. I can't get motivated to exercise at all. I do walk some, but thats about it. I even bought a gym membership on 8/31 on line with a special that was ending that day. I HAVE NOT BEEN TO THE GYM YET!!! I feel horrible and lazy. I hope you find some inspiration to start exercising and when you do please forward it to me. Good Luck
Chavon T.
on 10/11/06 8:55 am - Irmo, SC
I am with you Kim. I know we should be motivated by the weight loss but I too have a bunch of equipment at home and I just look at it like, hum, that's nice. I have lost 80 lbs and I guess it should be so easy for us, but I think we need to get it in gear because when the rapid weight loss starts it will be harder for us to find the motivation if we haven't already developed habits like some of our OH friends.
BigBopper
on 10/11/06 11:14 am - Oxnard, CA
Some days it is hard. As it gets colder, it will be even harder. My rule, generally, is that I cannot ea****ch T.V./ or have any other pleasure until I've put in at least 20 minutes. Most of the time, once I start, I usually go the full 40 minutes. Good luck, Ben
KC
on 10/12/06 2:44 am - Houston, TX
Make a deal with yourself to go once or twice a week at first. Keep at it and pretty soon it will become a habit. It also helps to get a work-out buddy so you are accountable. I know exactly what you mean - I used to hate exercise. I have gotten myself in a habit of walking around our retention pond with the dogs (my hubbie always did it -- I just didn't when I was fat). I told him "MAKE ME GO, shame me whatever". Now I look forward to it. I go even if he's not around. I'm now going twice some days. Now the gym -- I'm still trying to make that one a habit. I have a work-out buddy, my son, but sometimes he goes before I get home and then I won't go. We don't work out together so it's boring. I did just go to a support group meeting where a bicycler spoke and he was so inspiring, I think I want to take up biking. I need to check out the club and then see if we even own a bike still. I don't want to buy a bike if it turns out to be something I don't like. Riding a bike on the streets of Houston sounds pretty scary right now.
Lori .
on 10/17/06 4:08 am - Shuswaps, Canada
Kim I am definitely in the same boat as you. Up until about two weeks ago, I just kept active by painting and parking farther from work (you know, lame things). I took my son to his third martial arts lesson, and my bonier butt was getting sore from sitting on the benches, so I slid to the floor. The instructor took that as a signal that I was interested in joining in, and so now I am sucked into 2 hours twice a week--same class as my 7 year old. I have to be a good role model for him I guess . I have only been three times, but I am now running laps around the gym, doing a poor excuse of sit ups and actually able to do 10-15 pushups (not the girly kind). I can't quite fathom that I actually find this fun. Long story maybe a little shorter, a group setting and some peer (or primary schooler) pressure might work wonders. Also, I wonder if you aren't just experiencing a lot of fatigue. In spite of my new found muscle strength, and my supposedly lighter body, most days I literally have to pull myself up the stairs at work, I am soooooo tired all the time. I am going to bed an hour or two earlier every night, and still feel like having a nap when I get to work in the morning. Good luck with your quest. Lori
Richard Penatzer
on 10/18/06 12:43 pm - bangor, ME
Sorry Kim I dont have any answers for you i wish I did. I dont give myself a chance to decide to go to the gym or not i do this by getting up at 5:45am and getting to the gym 7 days a week at 6am and staying there till 7:45. I just think that I did this surgery and the surgeon did thier part and the gym is my part and I also look at a picture of me at my heaviest and just say you will never be that person again!!! And an hour and a half a day is well worth that to me. I hope you can find the motavation to get the exercise in as it is the most important. Mybe you need to get someone close to you to get you motavated. Well good luck!!
Traci L.
on 10/20/06 11:38 pm - Henderson, NY
Hi, Kim. Thanks for posting this. I was feeling like I was the only one with lack of motivation! I am so tired all the time! I know I need to exercise, but that's not enough to make me do it! I guess we'll just have to keep looking for a way! Traci
Jennifer K.
on 10/23/06 2:06 am - Phoenix , AZ
Even thou nothing sounds good to you - keep trying new things until you find something you like. There are so many options out there today (hiphop aerobics, strip aerobics, pilates) you should be able to find something to like!! Maybe you are mentally blocking yourself by thinking of it as exercise... maybe think of it as "me time". I love going for a walk and looking around the neighborhood... or listening to music or using it as time to think. Its my time to unwind and maybe work a few things out in my head. Or I like to use the treadmill while watching tv because im more focused on the tv. Hopefully this will help some! Getting family members involved is a great idea because then you will have some outside motivation!
Grand_Forks_grl
on 10/24/06 4:19 am - East Grand Forks, MN
I hear ya. same boat here also. i'm 7 weeks out i was315 from start 301 from surgery and down to 269 now,,Is that bad? Good?.. I feel great, But i have no energy what so ever! I;m eating healthy and getting in my water almost everyday and the vitamins. But i have no energy.. I need this help too. I think i'm really going to get in gear here. I have no choice right! Help me too guy's We need all of ya!
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 years!
Jennifer K. · 1 replies · 627 views
Thinking of revision
Elana P. · 1 replies · 721 views
8 Years today
Frank D. · 1 replies · 805 views
8 years!
Jennifer K. · 2 replies · 658 views
7 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 714 views