Eating More?

kimberwhit66
on 10/10/06 8:59 am - Davison, MI
Hi Everyone. I know someone asked this not too long ago, but I'm wondering if anyone is feeling lately that they have been able to eat a lot more (and are a lot more hungry)? I had my surgery on June 22nd, and I am down 76 lbs total (63 from surgery). Lately..the last few weeks, I am a lot hungrier than I usually am, and I feel like I can eat quite a bit..some things more than others. Still not a ton, but feeling more "normal".. I went to Penera the other day for lunch and ate most of half a salad (asian chicken with low sugar vinegarette..YUM!) and half a bowl of onion soup. I though that seemed like a lot compared to other meals! I have about 6 small meals/snacks a day and getting in most my water and protien...but just wondered how you all were doing with eating and if you were finding you can eat more. In a way it's better because for a long time I could not get in 700 - 900 calories, but now I'm thinking I better keep close track or else I may go over that without realizing it!! Blessings, Kim
Jennifer K.
on 10/10/06 9:39 am - Phoenix , AZ
I had surgery June 20th... of course we eat more now than before. We are more healed and our bodies are getting use to whats going on so we can tolerate more food and different foods. It can be suprising since previously we were eating next to nothing but if you look at the overall meal volume its still not that much. I havent gotten my "hunger" back yet. Sometimes if I go too long without eating I can tell I need some food but I dont feel "hungry". I do get in around 800 calories a day... 3 meals and 1-2 snacks. Its much easier now to get in the protein and water which is great
BigBopper
on 10/10/06 9:53 am - Oxnard, CA
If I wanted, I could eat quite a bit. I can eat an entire small salad. Soup is easy because it basicilly slips right through the pouch. Also, the liquid in the soup allows everything else I eat to slip quicker than it normally would. I have found that eating around my pouch would be quite easy. So, to avoid this, I make sure I don't eat liquids with my meal. That means, if I eat soup, that's all I eat. Otherwise, I eat somthing with protien. Then, I eat the protien first. If I have any room left, I eat what's left slowly until full. As for appetite, it is definately worse when I have an intense workout or my day is full of activity. On those days, I just stick to the above rules, not eat again for at least two hours and never, ever, graze in between meals. It is hard. But.... Good luck, Ben
Holly W.
on 10/10/06 10:41 am - Leeds, AL
I haven't been counting anything except protein sometimes and sugar sometimes so I don't know how many calories I am getting in a day. I can tell you that I am getting hungrier and able to eat more comfortably. I ate 1/2 of a subway salad today for lunch. I was full and couldn't eat another bite but was shocked at how much I actually was able to eat. I'm very pleased that I'm able to eat more comfortably!! Tonight I cooked Reuben Sandwiches and I had one slice of Rye Bread, 2 tbs sauer kraut, 1 tbs thousand island, about 3 oz of Corned beef and 1 slice of swiss cheese. I ate it all just fine. For a second I felt guilty but then I thought about how much I would've eaten had I not got the surgery. I would've 100% had two whole ones!
Carolyn L.
on 10/10/06 9:20 pm - Northborough, MA
Yes, I can definitely eat more "normally". It comes and goes though. Some days I seem to be able to eat anything I want (though in far smaller quantities than I used to!) and other days I seem to be right back to 2 months ago when a few bites was all I could handle. The other day I was in a "big" eating day and at dinner had a whole fajita, I made them myself and used a smaller wrap, but it had a few pieces of meat in it, lots of onion and pepper and cheese. My husband was shocked to see me eat the whole 5" long fajita. Of course I pointed out to him that he had 4! And then he had a snack later! Be well! Carolyn 232/151/130
KC
on 10/11/06 1:42 am - Houston, TX
I'm ebbing and flowing. The deli in my building makes the most delicious chicken salad on half an avocado with fresh fruit around it and 5 melba-like toast. I can eat the entire 1/2 cup of chicken salad, plus avocado and most of the fruit. I am shocked to see. But then there are days like last night when the chicken in the tortillas was dry and I ate one bite and it was too much.
kimberwhit66
on 10/11/06 3:14 am - Davison, MI
Well, it sounds like we are all doing about the same... some days more than others. It is just surprising to me and a little scary at times to be able to eat more, but then there are times, like some of you said, that I seem to eat a lot one day, and the next meal I eat I can only eat a bite or two and it just sits like a rock and I'm done. I'm trying to change my eating, but I still don't trust myself enough to not go back to those old habits..but that's why I had the surgery. Some of those old habits are impossible. I don't seem to really be a "dumper"..a few times I've eaten something and I haven't felt great after it..but nothing like sweats, heart rate increase and having to go lay down for a few hours. I'm glad about that and yet it gives you a little more freedom to try things... yikes! Anyway.. thanks for all the input..it's nice to have this board to talk to people the same distance out as me. Blessings, Kim 293/216/160
chubbychub
on 10/11/06 9:43 am - camp hill, PA
I was just stressing about this today. I had my 3 month follow up a few weeks ago and he said I am doing fine but.... I am still only supposed to be eating 4 tablespoons of food 3 times a day. Dependign on the day and the food, 4T is enough, but most of the time I can eat a lot more. Last night for dinner I ate almost a whole 6 inch sub from subway minus most of the bread. And I never lost my appitite. I wi**** would get lost some times so I don't have to eat so much :P
BigBopper
on 10/12/06 4:11 pm - Oxnard, CA
Four tablespoons? Wow! I'm at least double that. Ben
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/06 3:38 am - Plano, TX
I'm so glad I ran on to this post. I feel the same way you do. I measure my food so I don't over eat, but I could eat a lot more. I'm not getting hungry in between meals, but if I don'****ch myself, I can definitely eat more. After reading all these posts, I feel so much better. I still dump, so that's good. But I am tolerating milk products a little better.
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 years!
Jennifer K. · 1 replies · 627 views
Thinking of revision
Elana P. · 1 replies · 721 views
8 Years today
Frank D. · 1 replies · 805 views
8 years!
Jennifer K. · 2 replies · 658 views
7 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 714 views