My 1 year anniversary!!! :)

vtbrnidgrl
on 7/12/08 10:59 pm - Chesapeake, VA
Where did the last year go? A year ago today I was recovering, not as uncomfortably as I thought I would be, at Norfolk General Hospital from my gastric bypass surgery. The highest weight I saw on a scale was 305 lbs. WOW! What a heifer!!! In January of 2007 I began the journey of weight loss surgery. In order to have the surgery I had to quit smoking...okay done! I had to attend classes and seminars, meet with psychologists, have numerous blood tests, a body scan, meet with a nutritionist and a exercise physiologist and the worst part of it all....quit drinking diet coke! I did it ALL...EVERYTHING!!! And a year later, I still don't smoke and I haven't had a diet coke. When I made the decision to have this surgery, I told myself this was my ONLY shot at losing weight FOREVER! In order to be successful, I had to do this regimented and to the T of what my surgeon and nutritionist recommended. I stuck to the plan 98%. Here is where I may "cheat": 1. If the glass at a restaurant is dirty; I'll use a straw. 2. I eat protein supplements in the form of protein bars; my surgeon believes his patients should be off all protein supplements and getting the protein from "real" food. 3. I'll eat fat free pretzels and chips. What can I say?!? I love the crunch and the salt. Basically that is it! I don't cheat. I NEVER eat fast food. I have NOT HAD 1 carbonated beverage. I don't eat sweets. I NEVER drink with my meals...and always wait until 30 minutes after to begin drinking again. And the biggest change I have made: I go the gym at least 6x a week...but usually I go 7 days a week! Going to the gym has gotten me to where I am today, 1 year out, 148 lbs. slimmer, and SO MUCH HEALTHIER!!! I feel horrible if I have not been to the gym, my day does not feel complete. This is a big change for a girl who hated the thought of walking from the car to the store even if it was to buy shoes and/or purses! I didn't make it to my goal weight at 1 year out. Honestly, I am a little bummed about it, but I refuse to let it ruin my happiness with the entire journey. I have roughly 20 more lbs. I would like to lose. I am hoping to have plastic surgery within the year to tighten up some abdominal skin and inflate the deflated balloons I have hanging off of my chest. All in all, it has been an extremely successful year and I am looking forward to the day I can post that I am at goal....140 lbs! YAY!!!
cycobusdriver E.
on 7/13/08 8:37 pm - ME
Congradulations on your year anniversery.. 140 lbs what a great job..to be happy and healthy again is so great.. I will be a year out July 20th, and have lost 80lbs..This surgery has been a life save for us all.. again Congradulations Barb
Amy_in_MA
on 7/13/08 11:20 pm - Danvers, MA
Happy surgiversary Jennifer!
H A.
on 7/13/08 11:30 pm - NOR CAL, CA
Fantastic job!!!!!! You are inspiring me to get back to the gym. I've been out a few weeks because of a chest cold and the smoke here in California was very hard on my lungs. It's Monday and time for a new start! Congratulations! Heidi
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 630 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1390 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 943 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 810 views