Need Help RNY or Lap Band??

htimmons
on 7/15/08 6:46 am - Wyandotte, MI
I would really appreciate any comments you may have on either surgery. I would really like to hear from everybody but I would really appreciate hearing from the people that have had them done. I was originally set on getting the Lap Band but recently I went to the doc's seminar and am thinking about the RNY. I was thinking that the lap band sounds like hassle with the fills and slippage and everything. Also the RNY sounds more appealing because I do have a sweet tooth but, is it more hassle? I would like to hear the good and the bad. Thanks alot, Heather
(deactivated member)
on 7/15/08 12:59 pm - North Vancouver, Canada
If you are looking at the RNY vs lapband, then do yourself a favour and also research the sleeve (VSG). No fills, no adjustments, no aftercare, but lesk risk than RNY.
zlynnc
on 7/15/08 1:31 pm - BEAUFORT, NC
Don't let anyone fool you,,major surgery is risky for anything. I had RNY and have not had any issues and the two boards of RNY's and Sleeve people will agree to disagree. My blood work is excellent and have had no abosorbution lssues like some surgeries. Thing is though there are so many types of surgeries that it all gets confussing and people will argue and scare the hell out of you. I didn't do the lap cause I know I would cheat around it. I had RNY at Pitt hospital in NC with a group of Doctors that practice under the Founder of the RNY which use to be call the Greenville bypass in the 60's. They do not offer the Sleeve. Please discuss your choices with Your Doctor and how what they feel are issues with each. They are medical proffessionals. Second go to your state forum on here and find folks that have your same doctor or the one you choose to have and ask them questions on his staff, follow ups and such. For his office...Don't be afraid to ask...it's your body' what his statistics are on his proceedures, ie: deaths, complications and such. They have to tell you. Research him good. When you research the different proceedures be honest and think about how it will fit your life style. None of them are easy to begin with, it's a shock to your body and if your doing this to be healthy than don't listen to..well we can eat what we want with ours cause it's going right on out. Your doing this cause bad choices and habits got you hear and no matter what you have got to change your eating habits and life style. It is a commitment to better health and a better lifestyle and this change should be for the whole family. Good luck, listen what folks say and right down what they claim is good or bad, then ask your Doctor what is true
Kristin D.
on 7/15/08 11:56 pm - Minneapolis, MN
I had the same thoughts as you originally and it is a really personal choice...no one way is right for everyone. I did intend to get the lap band, but I did end up doing rny instead. My main considerations were: 1. Rate of weight loss is better with rny 2. I wanted the threat of dumping due to my sweet tooth 3. I didn't want the maintenance of having to go in for fills with the lap band. My surgery has been pretty recent, but it went quite well and I am recovering pretty well. My main issue is some soreness where my ab muscles were cut. Either way is a big lifestyle change.
Marianne R.
on 7/16/08 2:42 am - Lincoln, RI
Hi Heather. Like you, when I first went to the seminar to find out about the procedures I had mixed emotions. But this is what I came away with. 1. I heard the doctor say that they didn't know how the material for the Lapband would fare in 20 or 30 years. Would it breakdown or what? Well in 20 years, I will be 70. Not a surgery I would be looking forward to at that age to swap it out or change it. 2. I have a very bad sweet tooth and I guess I was looking for something to give me the dicipline to say "NO, you can't have just one piece of chocolate, you will get very sick". Dieting was never a good enough reason to stay away from sweets - that was my downfall. 3. I like the statitics on the rapid weight loss with RNY as apposed to the Lapband. I didn't want to wait that long to see results. If I am going to put myself thru this, I want results I can see asap! So there you have it. Good luck with what ever you decide on. Either way it will be beneficial in the long run. Marianne
wannaliveagain
on 7/17/08 1:20 pm - glen aubrey, NY
RNY on 07/14/08 with
Its your choice I picked ryn for myself it was all a personal choice
MotherX2CntrvlleVA
on 7/18/08 3:06 am - VA
RNY on 06/13/11 with
Hi Heather, I am 4 months out from my Lap Band surgery. I am very happy with my choice. I would prefer a slice of cake for dinner than meat and potatoes, so I understand your sweet tooth. I think your decision needs to be based on your weight , where you want to go and the understanding that if you go for RNY you will never be able to take a nibble of a sweet again without getting ill. I have lost over 53lbs to date and I have about another 50 to go or so. My good friend had RNY here in the office in Jan. and she has lost over 76lbs. We do alot of the similar things, and at first I was kinda jelouse of the rate of her loss. But I think she is a bit green herself because she can not take just a bite of something during a celebration without getting ill. Both of us if asked would not change a thing. So back to your question of which surgery is best for you. Do your research, talk to people, maybe attend a support group for Lap and one for RNY to get a good mix. Then talk to your Dr. and make your decision on what will be the right fit for you. Than enjoy the journey and never look back. Best of Luck to you. Ritaf
zlynnc
on 7/18/08 4:48 am - BEAUFORT, NC
With RYN the majority of people do not dump. Most times it is mybe one or two things that make people dump. Personally heavy creams, not coffee creams but like rich icecream can make me dump if i have to much. Pork makes me slightly sick to my stomach but I don't dump. It can be any kind of food. Alot of times it goes away months out so don't believe you will never eat sweets or fats again....Not true hence alot of people gain back cause of it. I am chewing on a coffee toffee right now. Alot of wish further out that we did dump on these things so we can't eat them and lose faster or keep from gaining weight back LOL! True.
Most Active
Recent Topics
THREE YEARS!!
THENEWLAURA · 1 replies · 1646 views
Anniversary
Ms TJ P. · 1 replies · 744 views
Today is my 2 year Rebirth date
Renee W. · 1 replies · 868 views
TWO YEARS DOWN!
THENEWLAURA · 0 replies · 782 views
Coming up on 2 years out.
Mandy_ · 2 replies · 762 views