August 9th was the day - now on to healing!

Audi5000
on 8/29/11 6:00 am
My psychologist really wanted me to set an alarm for every 15 minutes - but that would be really disruptive to a classroom full of students.  I tried to train myself before coming back to work.  I realized that 2 oz was about 4 swallows.  So I try to take four swallows of water, Crystal Light, whatever I have - every so often.  I've been able to keep from chugging, but I'm sure that some of my sips are 12 minutes apart and others 20 minutes apart.  I've not been as good about the semi-solids.  I have eaten a few things that were...risky.  But I really have chewed them until the soupy stage - just because I am fearful. 
Now I'm fearful of how to try the semi-solid foods...how quickly might I react? - that sort of thing.  I guess you are right, though.  I just have to redefine my relationship with food.  I feel the smaller stomach, so I think I can use that to my advantage as far as helping me to truly learn a new limit with food. 

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days
This content requires the Adobe Flash Player. Get Flash
Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

youjustwatchmechang
e

on 8/29/11 10:20 am - GA
 i agree it would probably be disruptive for kids! i am gonna try the alarm thing since my cat won't mind :) i get to start the soft foods tomorrow and im pretty excited about it. i hate protein shakes with a passion right now. like dear god hate hate hate them. i think i need some variety before i can like them again lol 
Audi5000
on 8/29/11 12:15 pm
I agree - protein shakes are not my friend.  I think its something about the artificial sweetener smell...like sugar alcohols or something.  I have had okay success with SF Carnation Instant Breakfast- its not as bad.  I have also done okay with protein shakes that I add a little instant coffee to cover the weird taste/smell...when I MUST drink one.  I would like to be able to just pop a protein pill...

Are you sure your cat won't mind?  I have two that would jump out of their fur at an alarm.  Of course, that could be part of the entertainment needed in healing!

youjustwatchmechang
e

on 8/29/11 12:53 pm - GA
 before i had surgery i was doing the protein shakes too to try to lose some weight pre-op and so now it is just TOO LONG! i never thought i would say that i was tired of something that tastes sorta like a chocolate shake. i'm gonna have to brew some coffee becuase even with being ablet to eat soft foods starting tomorrow (YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!) i am gonna need protein shakes to get my protein in for the day. i am supposed to get 80 in a day but read some posts yesterday and people were saying that the more protein they had daily the more weight they lost. i did just look at a can of tuna packed in water and it has 26 grams of protein for the whole can and only 120 calories...so im thinking im gonna be investing in some tuna over the next few days! i looked at the carnation instant breakfast but i must not have seen SF cause i just remember reading the sugars and putting it down before just holding the box made my blood sugar jump :)

my cat is startled by things like me moving my chair or a shadow but alarms? she will just stare at them. she is a STRANGE cat :)
Maurilia1
on 10/31/11 6:45 am - CA
so, how are you doing now? my surgery is 12/2 and i cant wait, just gathering all the info anyone can pass on..

happy losing!
Audi5000
on 10/31/11 10:05 pm
I am doing really well.  I'm down about 30 pounds and two pant sizes.  I am still learning my new body's digestive habits.  I am one who can eat sugar, but in small amounts.  I have had few bathroom issues.  My "yuckiness" is feeling nauseated from eating too much.  It's hard for me to vomit in this new body - the feeling is there, but the food doesn't like to reverse from my pouch.  That seems like it could be a good thing until you remember that the feeling is still there and its hard to get rid of nausea when you can't easily vomit.  Some others mentioned little tell-tale signs that can signal "full" before you actually feel it - like a runny nose, a sneeze or a burp.   I feel those things, but I am not recognizing them until about one or two bites too late.  Part of my issue is that I am "really good" at work - because who has the time or opportunity to eat junk at work.  Then, of course, I'm tired, hungry and impatient to eat when I get home for dinner.  That's when I make the most mistakes - eating too much of anything, eating too much sugar or fat.  Overall, I am doing well and see all of my experiences as learning opportunities. 

As for you - what a great Christmas present to yourself!!!  You will do great!  Listen to what the doctors - and more specifically the nurses - tell you and do it!  Walk, sip, walk - take gas medicine to help with the gas after surgery - and walk, sip, walk some more.  I'm not sipping anymore and not walking like I should.  I think I would have lost even more if I were walking more.  I have a 3 month check up next week so we will see what the official number of pounds lost will be.  Happy healing to you - and feel free to keep in touch.  I'd love to hear about your progress!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Eetore, are you around?
Jennifer D. · 0 replies · 662 views
Healing Process
jennifer W. · 2 replies · 1044 views
Surgery Date Next Monday!
emma M. · 1 replies · 944 views